Finally hapened - new 125 Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agrasyuk

Aquarium Advice Freak
After setting up my first tank last fall (55gal) i immediately knew I want bigger. Space got available for a 6 footer and I was contemplating something between 155 or a 210. After searching craiglist for a month I "settled" for a very clean 125. Oh boy, when I finally seen the size in person! So much bigger then expected. Got a chance to immediately work on it - helped owner take it apart as it was full and with fish when I arrived. I think this size is just right as far as reaching all the way behind. Carying it to car and then into basement I sure felt the weight.

I am jumping of hapiness! Need to figure out a stand for it and then get discus!

Attachments

• 1393942688401.jpg
    1393942688401.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 153
That tank is way too small for that cat. Kidding of course.

I just made a very nice clean stand for my 180.
Used 4x4s and 2x6. All from Home Depot.
Cost about $50.
Probably would support about a 1000 gallon tank!

Really easy to do if you can use a screw gun/drill.

Home Depot cut all the wood!!!

If you'd like the details let me know.

Well cats are always into new things :)

Yeah, i really like those DIY builds. Looked at GARF already. I'm still researching what sump tank to build the stand around however. 55 gallon tank seems attractive but it is tall and the main tank ends up to high for my liking. So looking at other options.

That's a very nice stand!!! Very simple yet you still have room to add on in the future. I would like the detail for sure. Pm me if you can!!!

Thanks for the picture, looks very functional. I will be going for something similar. But I will also need to figure out how to make the sump tank removable. No 48" of space on either side, so I will not have the option to slide the sump from the side. Pondering removable center support.

Stand so far. Top ply not yet attached. I'm still researching whether this will stand without any additional supports. It seems like it will, but I probably add one in center (front and back) for ease of mounting doors.

IMG_20140307_192711-vi.jpg

And my stand is nearly there. Added the center support after all. Aquarium sits on top of 1/4" pink foam insulation sheet.

Inside is covered with polyurethane. the outside is lined with nice oak ply and trim, has to be stained first. Doors will come somewhat later

Attachments

• 1394860742098.jpg
    1394860742098.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 191
And my stand is nearly there. Added the center support after all. Aquarium sits on top of 1/4" pink foam insulation sheet.

Inside is covered with polyurethane. the outside is lined with nice oak ply and trim, has to be stained first. Doors will come somewhat later

Looking good!

Got a free 30 gallon long tank for the sump and it is to long to go in under :( oh well. Decided on using aquaclear sump for filtration. Stained and coated the stand. I think that's the layout of tanks I will stick to : pair of 10gal, a 20 and a sump

Attachments

• 1395062721822.jpg
    1395062721822.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 125
Following Along, Great job on the stand. One of my biggest mistakes was selling my 125 I wish I had it back every day. What do you plan on putting in there?

hi and thank you. i was chasing after this one for some time so i can't imagine parting with it. i hope you sold yours to up the size?

for now it will contain 70 pounds of fluorite+eco complete capped with sand, some plants and that driftwood piece pictured on post up (currently soaking). fish-less for a month or so. then FW peaceful community - want to have a horde of Cories roaming the bottom :) . I hope eventually to try discus .

Tank came with a pair of usual 36" florescent lights , but reading about it I just ordered beamswork 72" led light unit, the 280led 6500K model. Can't wait to get it and hope it is going to last.

Congrats on the new tank! I love how your cat had to inspect it first for approval, reminds me of my cats anytime I bring home something new :)

Thanks!

I received my beamswork fixture. So bright and so neat to have just one to cover the entire length.

Playing with driftwood arrangement. Which one you like better?

Attachments

• 1395882429016.jpg
    1395882429016.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1395882440179.jpg
    1395882440179.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1395882450382.jpg
    1395882450382.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom