Finally, my first driftwood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yadhu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found this really beautiful piece of mopani root at PetsMart. I searched high and low for a driftwood in the open, but didn't see any to my liking. Finally found a "medium" sized wood and figure I would add it to my 10 gallon tank... I have soaked it in water. Still leaching tannins. Pic will be up soon. Now I need to go buy some moss or Anubias to tie onto the wood.

The driftwood finally in the tank. Now onto the plants!

Attachments

• image-3336877920.jpg
    image-3336877920.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3702106968.jpg
    image-3702106968.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 96
Well as far as stocking it, I'm very confused. It's a small tank... Obviously... Lol but as far as plants, I want some Anubias and some sort of moss. Can't decide between java and Christmas. I really want to get a albino long finned bristle nose. I got a bristle nose downstairs. Still a baby tho. Love plecos. Do you have any suggestions?

And the wood.. Lol it caught my eye when I was at PetsMart. I felt it would fit very nicely in my 10g but my mom thinks it looks big haha

I personally think a pleco would outgrow the tank quite quickly. For a 10 gallon, I would heavily recommended doing a shrimp only tank. But that is a personal choice, I really enjoy shrimps and find them very intriguing. But if you really want to do fish, I would say a school of neon tetras. Guppies would be nice but they reproduce very often I heard.

Also in terms of moss, I would recommend christmas moss over java moss. I have both and I think Christmas looks a lot better.

Guess I'll wait on the pleco when i get a bigger tank then :( I have a ghost shrimp in there, and he is very intriguing to watch. That's what I thought, Christmas looks a lot neater... But they grow slower? Prolly get couple neons or make it a betta sorority perhaps

Cornstar said:
I personally think a pleco would outgrow the tank quite quickly. For a 10 gallon, I would heavily recommended doing a shrimp only tank. But that is a personal choice, I really enjoy shrimps and find them very intriguing. But if you really want to do fish, I would say a school of neon tetras. Guppies would be nice but they reproduce very often I heard.

Also in terms of moss, I would recommend christmas moss over java moss. I have both and I think Christmas looks a lot better.

I agree with the pleco, their bioload is high and you want a 20+ gallon tank for BNs. What about a couple of nitrite snails?

So even the dwarf plecos that grow 4" are too big? Ismailis would be awesome. Maybe I can do a shrimp variety tank with a dwarf frog and couple snails in a heavily planted tank with a betta?

So even the dwarf plecos that grow 4" are too big? Ismailis would be awesome. Maybe I can do a shrimp variety tank with a dwarf frog and couple snails in a heavily planted tank with a betta?

The thing with plecos is that, they have large bioloads. I never heard of dwarf frogs with shrimps and bettas.

But I think you can do certain shrimps with a betta.

the cherry shrimp (not sure about the name- they got red/white bands and are prolly half an inch) Would loo nice too. My lfs is selling electric blue crawfish... And figured that would be unique but they look aggressive

Bettas are a hit and miss in a community tank. Just make sure to have a backup plan if it goes south.

Yadhu said:
the cherry shrimp (not sure about the name- they got red/white bands and are prolly half an inch) Would loo nice too. My lfs is selling electric blue crawfish... And figured that would be unique but they look aggressive

I just love Cherry shrimp! Wish I could get some in my area. Crawfishes can be aggressive, known for eating smaller fish.

They were def the coolest i have seen. They are on sale (10 for 2.99) crawfish is like 30 bucks. I don't think it's within my budget for now lol

Yadhu said:
They were def the coolest i have seen. They are on sale (10 for 2.99) crawfish is like 30 bucks. I don't think it's within my budget for now lol

I have to say that's not a bad deal with the shrimp. 10 of my ghost shrimp cost me about $5.
If you really want to put a betta in the tank make sure its the last fish to go in.
This is what I do when betta shoppin-Bring a pencil and put up to the cup or tank. If the betta flares or is scared, pass on those. If they just sit there and ignore the pencil the more likely they are community compatible. I usually put them in a clear breeder box in the tank for the first couple weeks. Let him get used to the tank and other creatures. I did this with all five of my bettas and three of them were compatible, the other two destroyed anything in the tank.
Its not a guranatee that it will work, but three out of five ain't bad. ;)

thats a very unique idea! I will definitely try that (now I have a reason to walk into my lfs again, hehe) i don't have a feeder box.. might look into that then, and try your method.. i love the king bettas.. they look absolutely stunning.

Back
Top Bottom