Fire Neon Yellow Shrimp & Mexican Dwarf Crayfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10 gallon invertebrate tank's inhabitants arrived today! 20 Fire Neon Yellow Shrimp and 2 Mexican Dwarf Crayfish to get started :)

My husband helped me take some pics since my camera kept washing out all the colors...

img_2706566_0_97618dadc5b26a40c064ccb477f13297.jpg

img_2706566_1_81e304bfeeeee192d730090389335edb.jpg

Video of everyone settling in:

Nice additions! I do want to warn you though, that many people have had their dwarf crays eat shrimp. The crayfish are quite a bit more aggressive, and will probably want the bottom of the tank all to themselves.

Really? Most people I talked to about the crayfish claimed that they kept them in their shrimp breeder tanks with zero problems... In fact the shrimp often hitched rides on the back of the crayfish.

I'll keep an eye on them just to be sure, but so far the crayfish have mostly ignored the shrimp whenever they bump into each other. The shrimp were startled and scooted back a step a couple times, but that was as far as it went.

Awesome little guys! What great finds. :)
I have heard mixed reviews about shrimp and crays. It seems to work sometimes and not others. Good luck! Hopefully yours is one of the working times.

Really? Most people I talked to about the crayfish claimed that they kept them in their shrimp breeder tanks with zero problems... In fact the shrimp often hitched rides on the back of the crayfish.

I'll keep an eye on them just to be sure, but so far the crayfish have mostly ignored the shrimp whenever they bump into each other. The shrimp were startled and scooted back a step a couple times, but that was as far as it went.

Hopefully you have a good experience with them together :) Do keep an eye out for aggression though. Many people have had shrimp eaten or killed by their crays, so you definitely want to separate them if you suspect anything.

Yep, I'll keep a close eye! Worst comes to worse, I have a second 10g tank plumbed together with the shrimp tank and the 20g long GloTank, so I can always separate the crays down to the second 10g if there's any signs of aggression :) Currently that tank has just been a plant grow-out tank.

Back
Top Bottom