First fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHCPeppers85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While fishless cycling, my ammo and nitrites hit 0... I did a 30pwc trates were around 20, and yesterday I added4 bleeding heart tetras and a bn pleco. Today I got 4 more of the bht...

Weird thing is, they won't eat.. The pleco is feasting on the brown algea, but the tetras are just hidding, staying away from anyone that approaches the tank, and have ignored cobalt flakes, and spectrum 0.5mm pellets...

Is it normal for them to fast in a new tank? Any thing I should know?

While fishless cycling, my ammo and nitrites hit 0... I did a 30pwc trates were around 20, and yesterday I added4 bleeding heart tetras and a bn pleco. Today I got 4 more of the bht...

Weird thing is, they won't eat.. The pleco is feasting on the brown algea, but the tetras are just hidding, staying away from anyone that approaches the tank, and have ignored cobalt flakes, and spectrum 0.5mm pellets...

Is it normal for them to fast in a new tank? Any thing I should know?

Is their plenty of cover for them to hide until they get used to the tank and feel more secure?

Is the ph and temperature appropriate for them?
Keep checking your parameters daily as you could get a spike after adding your fish.

Is the tank in a brightly lit or busy position?

If all those things are okay, try them with some frozen blood worms. Or dried blackworms. My ember tetras will rarely eat anything else. Same with my olive perchlets. They'll go without until they get their worms!

Maybe there scared of you, my Congo tetras were like that. Would not eat well I was in the room. Try feeding and walk out of the room. Soon they will get use to you and will eat when ever you feed them

So I think the fish have enough hide outs...

The house is empty all day so not much foot traffic, an and not in direct sunlight at all, unfair, during the day I would still need the tank lights on to get a good look at the tank.

Lights out at like 7pm, I turn them on at about 7:30 am.

It's a planted tank, so I do need light. I am using the 36" SolarMaxHE....

Tested water and:
Ammo: 0
Trite: 0
Trate: 5ppm
Ph 7.6

I realize ph is high for tetras, but I read that since they are captive bred, it is better to have them acclimate to a steady environment, than to have one that fluctuates with chemically modified pH..

I do plan on buying another piece of drift wood though to help the ph drop naturally, and slower than chems would...

In gonna try the worms though... Worst case the Cory's should enjoy them

So I think the fish have enough hide outs...

The house is empty all day so not much foot traffic, an and not in direct sunlight at all, unfair, during the day I would still need the tank lights on to get a good look at the tank.

Lights out at like 7pm, I turn them on at about 7:30 am.

It's a planted tank, so I do need light. I am using the 36" SolarMaxHE....

Tested water and:
Ammo: 0
Trite: 0
Trate: 5ppm
Ph 7.6

I realize ph is high for tetras, but I read that since they are captive bred, it is better to have them acclimate to a steady environment, than to have one that fluctuates with chemically modified pH..

I do plan on buying another piece of drift wood though to help the ph drop naturally, and slower than chems would...

In gonna try the worms though... Worst case the Cory's should enjoy them

Also--- temp is at 80... I uploaded a picture in my profile somewhere... would i really need to get more things in there for them to hide? my pleco seems to have no issue making him self nearly impossible to hide

Yeah, there is a large drift wood in there.... and i will be getting another to help bring down the pH...

I meant to say he has no issue making himself nearly impossible to find... i got my mixed words up.

Back
Top Bottom