Fish compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm hoping for some thoughts on what I want to put in my 90 gallon:

10 tiger barbs
8 zebra OR turquoise danios
4 opaline gourami
2 pictus cats (already have)
1 Chinese algae eater (already have)

I was wanting 10 Boesemani rainbows instead of the tiger barbs but cost is so much more. Thoughts on the compatability of these fish or other stocking ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Well I am not sure if this will help or not but I can tell you what I have in my 90. .... I have 6 serpea tetra that are a gorgeous orange and red color (short fin) 6 diamond tetra, 2 SAE, 2 BN pleco, 2 bala sharks, and 2 African butterfly fish oh and some algae eating shrimp. Everyone gets along great no complaints they have all established their own territory and are thriving beautifully. Are you thinking of planting your tank as well?

I wouldn't do the tiger barbs with the gouramis. It's a hit and miss situation but the barbs might terrorize the gourami to death. Then again maybe not.

I'm hoping for some thoughts on what I want to put in my 90 gallon:

10 tiger barbs
8 zebra OR turquoise danios
4 opaline gourami
2 pictus cats (already have)
1 Chinese algae eater (already have)

I was wanting 10 Boesemani rainbows instead of the tiger barbs but cost is so much more. Thoughts on the compatability of these fish or other stocking ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

The Gouramis with the TB's may be a hit or miss... Can ever tell... Gouramis are generally tough enough to stand up to TB's.

Personally, I'd say swap the 4 Gouramis for 4 rainbows instead and add 4 Denison Barbs that Petsmart is currently having on sale at $6 each. That'll eliminate any compatibility issues and adds color and activity.

The Gouramis with the TB's may be a hit or miss... Can ever tell... Gouramis are generally tough enough to stand up to TB's.

Personally, I'd say swap the 4 Gouramis for 4 rainbows instead and add 4 Denison Barbs that Petsmart is currently having on sale at $6 each. That'll eliminate any compatibility issues and adds color and activity.

I've had 10 tiger barbs in a 55 community tank and they nipped once in a while at the other fish. Once I put some bigger fish in the tank (cichlids) they stopped the nipping completely. Good choice with the denison barbs they are really nice. My fav barb is the odessa's, they also can be expensive

I would also swap the gouramis for rainbows. Opaline gouramis can be aggressive. Unless you get a group of four females you would have some beaten up gouramis.

Ok, how about
Axelrodi rainbows (5)
Madagascar rainbows (5)
Danison (6)
Pictus (2)
Bristlenose pleco (1)
Pearl gourami (1)

Should I still skip the pearl gourami? I don't know if I can just have one?...

Back
Top Bottom