Fish I want for new 60 gal... Which to add first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calleykc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am cycling a 60 gal tank (48"L x 24" H x 13" D), and I eventually want the following fish:
4 angelfish
2 pictus cats
5 lemon tetras
1 bristlenose pleco
Of these, the angels and pictus are my must-haves. I know there can be issues with these two species, but if I get them at the same time and when they are small I think they will be OK. On that note, should they be what I get first after my tank is finished cycling? Or should I get the angels and the schooling fish first and add the pictus and pleco later?

I really love angelfish and want more than one. Ideally I'd like 4 females so no spawning issues, but that's nearly impossible to predict LOL. I was thinking I could get 5-6 angels and return two once the pairing/ groups are determined, but I'm unsure how long that will take.

I'm no angelfish expert so I'll wait for someone else to weigh in. I do know you should get the angelfish absolutely last.

I wouldn't get them last, get them first so if an when they pair up they won't terrorize any of the inhabitants as they would be the only ones in the tank.Then remove your pair, rearrange the decore when adding other fish. Add lots of sight breakers and make sure it's heavily planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am cycling a 60 gal tank (48"L x 24" H x 13" D), and I eventually want the following fish:

4 angelfish

2 pictus cats

5 lemon tetras

1 bristlenose pleco

Of these, the angels and pictus are my must-haves. I know there can be issues with these two species, but if I get them at the same time and when they are small I think they will be OK. On that note, should they be what I get first after my tank is finished cycling? Or should I get the angels and the schooling fish first and add the pictus and pleco later?

I'd add the tetras, then the Pleco, then the cats, then the Angels.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Barb is very good and active fish

Sent from my Micromax A177 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm not mistaken you want all male angels. 2 females sometimes pair up and lay infertile eggs and then guard them and get feisty with other fish. With just males you don't have this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I added my angels to my tank first but that was mostly because I was getting the bigger tank for them. I had no problems introducing them first though. I've added a few more fish since then and after a few pecks to figure things out and maybe a little chase here and there the angels largely ignored the new fish, then again it depends somewhat on the angels as they can be just difficult personality wise. I would just be sure to add the pleco near the end of the stocking or even last so that there's plenty of algae for it to eat. Especially if you don't have algae wafers or don't want to get them.

This thread is rather old to be posting on since the OP has not posted in 7 months. :) Thread closed. Thanks everybody for you helpful input though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom