Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish Reccomendations

Hi, I'm new here

I currently have my 30L tank cycling and I'm thinking about what fish I want to have, I know I want a small group of neon tetras and my bristle nose cat fish but I'd like something a little larger than my tetras that will swim near the top, any ideas?

I love colorful fish but obviously not too large or need to be in a school due to my small tank size. Similar to guppies maybe?

Any ideas or advice would be great
Scarlet

Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

30L is just under 5 U.S. Gallons. Personally I wouldn't put any Bristlenose Pleco, Neon Tetras or Guppies in there. Really your best bet would be either a Betta or some type of "Nano-fish" like Chili Rasboras or Ember Tetras.

Guppies and Neon Tetras need at least a 10g (40 liter) and Bristlenose Plecos need 20g (80 liters) minimum.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your 30 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
Hi, I'm new here

I currently have my 30L tank cycling and I'm thinking about what fish I want to have, I know I want a small group of neon tetras and my bristle nose cat fish but I'd like something a little larger than my tetras that will swim near the top, any ideas?

I love colorful fish but obviously not too large or need to be in a school due to my small tank size. Similar to guppies maybe?

Any ideas or advice would be great
Scarlet
Hello Scarlet...

Why not get some hardy fish into your tank right away? A few Zebra Danios or Platys are very colorful and will easily make it through the tank cycling process and would be the perfect size for an 8 G tank. Put in some nice stem plants like Water wisteria and Pennywort and you'd have a very nice tank.

All you'd need to do to keep the fish healthy is test the tank water daily and do your water changes. The tank would likely cycle in a few weeks.

Just a thought.

B
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, my sincere apologies. I messed up my conversion from L to g!

As far as ideas for fish I would have to disagree with BBradbury on the Zebra Danios. They are very hardy, however they are extremely active and they need a tank larger than 8 gallons. The Platys are a good idea. The Neon Tetras you mentioned may work, though this tank may be a bit small for them. I would still say the Bristlenose is a bad idea as they have a high bioload and could easily foul the water in this size tank. Some other fish that might work would be guppies, many different kinds of tetras, barbs, rasboras, and other schoolers.

The stem plants are a good idea if you want to go for a planted tank. They look nice and are easy to grow.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adadkins1
Some other fish that might work would be many different kinds of tetras, barbs, rasboras, and other schoolers.
IMHO barbs need much more then 8g unless there is a nano barb species. I've never really looked at nano fish so I'm not 100% sure there isnt.

GuppyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scarlet, what are the dimensions of the tank?

I know that a lot of barbs get rather large, but I was mainly implying Cherry Barbs. I have kept them before and they do perfectly fine in a 10g.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

30L is 8g. I have two. I wouldn't do neons or a bristlenose. The neons need more swimming space and the bristlenose needs 20g minimum. As said above we need to know the dimensions of the tank in order to help you stock it. 30L really isn't that big so you are limited with fish selections.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Killifish are a great option for this size of tank, there are alot of the non-annual species that will work in your tank with the exception of the Blue Gularis who needs a 20g min. Alot of killisfish are put in to 2-1/2 - 5g tanks as pairs or trios, 8g's gives them ample room.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Killis rock!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow, thanks for your replies everyone!
I had danios in this tank a while ago and I agree that they need more space as the 2 I had were quite aggressive (unless they're always like that?)

Also I'm aware how big those bristle nose get! My boyfriend loves them and has quite a large one in his (massive) aquarium, I plan to give it to him when it grows (it's only the size of my pinky atm).

And thank you for all your fish suggestions! I'm thinking I'll stick with my guppies though ( they're cycling it now) and get maybe 4 or 5 neons. I've had the neons before in this tank and they lived for manyyyy years! I don't have a lot of obstructive decorations either just plants so they dart around quite freely.

My tanks exact dimensions I'll post in a minute when I get home, but it has a heater, external filter, bubbler & a crappy led light (hence no plants until I get a better one).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com