Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fishless cycle with fish food when to stop?

Hi, i just have finish my Fishless cycle with fish food, and ready to put swimp and Snails in, but when du i stop putting fish food in, dont whant the bacteria to die, do I stop when i put my swimp and Snails in, ore do I keep putting in, but not as much ?

Old 12-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me, but I think you only put ina small pinch of flake food one time to start the cycle?

Old 12-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Test your tank for ammonia, you may be using too much food ( i made the same mistake the first time i cycled a tank fishless).
You want your parameters to be:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-20 ppm
Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Test your tank for ammonia, you may be using too much food ( i made the same mistake the first time i cycled a tank fishless).
You want your parameters to be:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-20 ppm
My parameters is
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 25 ppm

But now when my cycle is done, do i keep putting fish food in, till i get full stock whit fish, so i keep the bacteria alive?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You put a small amount of food in the tank until you are ready to add your shrimp/fish. Right before you add your shrimp/fish you will want to do a large water change on your tank to reduce the nitrates. Once your shrimp/fish are in the tank, you do not add fish food except to feed the animals.
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by venymae View Post
You put a small amount of food in the tank until you are ready to add your shrimp/fish. Right before you add your shrimp/fish you will want to do a large water change on your tank to reduce the nitrates. Once your shrimp/fish are in the tank, you do not add fish food except to feed the animals.
Thanks for the advise
Old 12-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

I just bought 6 small Otocinclus affinis instead of the Amano Shrimp, is that enough fore the first week and then put some more in afterwards ? or should I put more in, to keep the bacteria alive?

Tags
cycle, fish, fish food, fishless, fishless cycle, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com