Fishless cycle with fish food when to stop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boffer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i just have finish my Fishless cycle with fish food, and ready to put swimp and Snails in, but when du i stop putting fish food in, dont whant the bacteria to die, do I stop when i put my swimp and Snails in, ore do I keep putting in, but not as much ?

Maybe I'm wrong and someone can correct me, but I think you only put ina small pinch of flake food one time to start the cycle?

Test your tank for ammonia, you may be using too much food ( i made the same mistake the first time i cycled a tank fishless).
You want your parameters to be:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-20 ppm

Test your tank for ammonia, you may be using too much food ( i made the same mistake the first time i cycled a tank fishless).
You want your parameters to be:
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-20 ppm

My parameters is
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 25 ppm

But now when my cycle is done, do i keep putting fish food in, till i get full stock whit fish, so i keep the bacteria alive?

You put a small amount of food in the tank until you are ready to add your shrimp/fish. Right before you add your shrimp/fish you will want to do a large water change on your tank to reduce the nitrates. Once your shrimp/fish are in the tank, you do not add fish food except to feed the animals.

You put a small amount of food in the tank until you are ready to add your shrimp/fish. Right before you add your shrimp/fish you will want to do a large water change on your tank to reduce the nitrates. Once your shrimp/fish are in the tank, you do not add fish food except to feed the animals.

Thanks for the advise :)

I just bought 6 small Otocinclus affinis instead of the Amano Shrimp, is that enough fore the first week and then put some more in afterwards ? or should I put more in, to keep the bacteria alive?

Back
Top Bottom