Fluval 205 filter setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am hoping to have my tank set up soon and have some questions about the media I should put in my trays on my fluval 205 canister filter.
It is on a 40 gal tank which will be a freshwater setup with plants.

I was thinking of pre filter in the bottom tray
Either biomax or bioballs In the middle tray. By bioballs I mean plastic black balls slightly smaller than a golf ball.
And in the top one a water polishing pad with a basket of Biomax on top of it.

I have all of those things already so I can mix and match them however I should or if need be I will buy what I need.

Please let me know what you think since I am a noob, this will be my first tank.

Thank you

Personally, I'd say skip the pre-filter (almost considered it myself) and go 100% polyester fill(aka pillowstuffing) in the bottom tray (really good at polishing your water) and biomax rings in the remaining trays. The poly-fill I bought was from an arts and craft store (skip the fluval polishing pads) and I've had my bag since April and it'll probably last me well into this upcoming summer .. and that's replacing at least 1 tray's worth every 2 weeks ... Paid $5.00 for it. Just ensure it doesn't have any fire retardants, perfumes etc.

While a 205 is rated for up to a 40gal max, if possible I would recommend going up to the 305 ... always a bit better to have a filter rated higher than your tank's volume. If you can't go with a 305, then maybe do a second filter like an HOB that can handle up to 40gal.

+1 that's exactly what I did. Only one tray of stuffing in my 405. I do have a hob for a 40 g too going along side the 405 in my 75 gallon tank. Water is crystal clear

Thanks for the info. So I should just give away the pre filter, bio balls and polishing pads?

I do not have the money to get a 305 I will have to make do with just the 205 for quite a while. Could I just not fully stock my aquarium?

Thanks for the info. So I should just give away the pre filter, bio balls and polishing pads?

I do not have the money to get a 305 I will have to make do with just the 205 for quite a while. Could I just not fully stock my aquarium?

Give away the pre-filter and hold on to the polishing pad as a back-up. The bio-balls you probably use in an HOB. If you stock fairly lightly and are willing to be vigilant on weekly PWC's, you should be ok. It's not much of an issue if you can get an HOB later on.

Back
Top Bottom