Foster Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
A buddy I work with was wanting to tear down his tank but he had two fish left in it; an Angelfish and a Clown Loach. I figured I would take the Angelfish so that it would eat some of my guppies. I didn't really want the clown loach because of how big they get but he was going to flush them so I figured why not. I can always re-home the loach to my friends 125g when it gets bigger.

The Angel is pretty large actually, I'd say 4.5" from top to bottom. The fish itself looks about 3" in diameter. The clown loach is right around 1.5" and is fairly skinny. I fed him some shrimp pellets and he was gobbling those up faster than any fish I have ever seen.

I'm not sure what type of angel it is, a marble? It has a really small patch of orange on top of its head, right above his eyes.

12085-albums37-picture2565.jpg

In the bag with the loach, notice the orange above his eye.

12085-albums37-picture2564.jpg

Clown Loach still in bag, could not get a better picture, sorry.

12085-albums37-picture2566.jpg

Angel released into the 10g. This is only temporary to see if he or she will eat some of the guppy fry.

I plan on getting rid of the guppies (free pickup in pittsburgh) one way or another and starting over with the 10 gal, upgrading the lights and trying a heavily planted tank with shrimp or smaller fish.

Your angel will be a good population controller believe me. I have had a trio of swords for over 2 years in a 29 gallon with an angel and no babies have survived to date. They eat anything that fits i their mouth.

That angel if beautiful! Watch for his fins because since he is in such a small tank they might drag against the gravel and damage them leaving them open to fungus.

nice koi angel... the loach is a little guy still, i sure he'll take while to grow out...

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am only leaving the angel in the 10g for a few days to see what happens with my guppy population. I was thinking the same thing about the gravel and fins when I put him in. I was like, holy cow he is a huge fish! He seemed a little nervous last night when I added him to the tank of guppies. Maybe the swarm of guppies is too much activity for him? I bet he'll mellow out and start feasting, at least I hope! :)

nice angel and good luck

Thanks. :)

When I got home from work yesterday I noticed a the angel was moving around quite a bit, more than yesterday. I looked closer and he had a guppy tail hanging out of his mouth! :) I guess it just took him a while to get used to his new tank.

He has eaten a good majority of the fry. I'd say he ate well over a dozen small fry, maybe a few days old. He also ate two almost adult size guppies.

I'm planning on moving him to the 30g tonight since he has eaten all the smaller guppies already. Now to get rid of all the adult females (8 or 9) and about 5-8 males...

Thanks guys and gals, I really like these fish, and you cannot beat the price; free!

I was house/dog sitting this weekend so I did not get to feed the tanks on Saturday, no biggie there is enough for them to pick on. When I got home on Sunday afternoon I checked on the tanks and I noticed a lack of guppy fry. The only fry I have left in there are 2 or 3, probably 3 week old.

I'm quite impressed with this Angelfish's appetite for guppies. :) I know it sounds horrible but there is nothing else you can do with tanks filled with guppies!!!

That's a nice fish.I was going to add a couple of guppies to my tank just so the angels can eat the fry.

Oh my gosh that is the prettiest angel ever!!! But I cant believe ur friend was going to flush them all! Its a good thing u save them though
~>Myni<~

Back
Top Bottom