Found on doorstep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks nice!! May I ask why the water in the bag is blue when it is in the Styrofoam box?

I can only pass on what I have read as I have no previous experience with rams. From what info is out there it sounds like they can coexist fairly well with most tetras.

Ok is this a female?

img_797586_0_219a05328235e87194a93803a067e8c6.jpg

Ok, now I know you will all think I am crazy, but I have a pair of GBR that has laid eggs!

These two fish have been chasing everybody in the tank but each other. The one I am calling the female grew a red/pink splotch on her belly today and she has been hiding under a crypt at the base of a rock....

I decided to investigate what they were doing under that crypt and what do I find? EGGS!!!!!

I have nothing prepared for this and have doubts about their success. Things are getting a little tense in the tank so I shut the lights out a little early to help calm things down a little.

Below are a couple of pics. They are not real high quality but you can see the eggs in one of them.

Mom and Dad

img_797659_0_5f687223519199b8af34e7d0c676b9e4.jpg

EGGS
img_797659_1_29dc27876248f475454d948bdef41a18.jpg

Joe?

WHAT IS IN YOUR WATER?

Superfishkeeper of the year, I say. I know someone smarter than I can help with the social issues. Very exciting, and wow.

I guess the FedEx man also doubles as the stork. :)
Congratulations on the eggs. Even if they are only a trial run, now you know you've got at least two fish in love.

It's not all that uncommon for that to happen. When I got my 4 pairs of GBR's in the mail, two pairs spawned in under a week. Another spawn went by for each of the four pairs and then a week later 3 pairs spawned at the same time and the fourth was an hour later. That was pretty cool to see. I think it is the change in water temp that makes them do this when they come in the mail like that.

I noticed in the pic that there were few eggs laid close together which means you probably took a pic after most of them were eaten. Usually they lay a decent amount of eggs in a really small amount of space. I took a pic once and opened it with MS paint and erased the eggs one by one for a count... I got over 450 of them. They will most likely lay eggs for you every week or so, so you may want to prepare for that. I am about to take a spawn out of my 55 gallon tank and try to hatch them in my 10. Even bought some brine shrimp eggs in hopes of successfully raising them longer than the 5 days past free swimming as is my best so far. Congratulations BTW.

neilanh said:
Top ones are gold rams, bottom ones are german blue rams

Do you think I could get 3 for a 35g full of mostly tetras?(heavily planted, of course)

WaterPond said:
they can be very picky fish when it comes to water quality. What type of tetras do you have?

I'd say yes if you have some small unagressive tetras.

Oh, this is strictly pre-set up... in the planning stages..
But yeah, they're non-aggressive..
thinking of rummy-nose, neons, glo-fish,harlequin, endlers, guppies, otos and maybe cherry shrimp..idk.. of course, list is subject to change.
[/b]

Back
Top Bottom