Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Free 55g

And what I am going to do with that 55g? Maybe crab only tank?!

Glass is a bit scratched and plastic trim is a bit melted, but what a heck! It was free! One man trash is another man treasure.

I am open to any ideas.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about a heavily planted tank with a big school of cardinal tetras and some GBR.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

4 guppies,1 male 3 female. let them do the rest lol
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Angelfish and rummynose tetras! Nice selection of plants and bogwood....
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBarb123
Angelfish and rummynose tetras! Nice selection of plants and bogwood....
Good idea! I agree
Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dang, wish I could find deals like that! Lol. Anywho, I'd say get you some slate or texas holey rock, make a cave foundation and system, and throw some mbuna in there! Maybe 3-5 yellow labs, a few maingano--even better, acei--and you'll have a good looking setup lol.
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

There were few ideas in my head - salt water set up, planted discus tank, angels only tank and few others.
I already have 25g planted community and 5g planted Betta so I don't think I wanna go with another planted tank..
Lake Malawi cichlids sounds like a good choice. Few reasons! First, always wanted to have a cichlids tank. Second, no plants and only rock set up sounds easy and most importantly inexpensive. Third, my tap water is very hard and alkaline (pH 7.6), so it is perfect for African cichlids.

Thank you all for ideas and suggestions.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol I'm jealous for two reasons. First, a free 55g rocks, second I wish my ph was that close to neutral. My tap ph is 8.4, hardness about 18kh and alkalinity? Well, I could pour a bottle of vinegar in my tank and the ph wouldn't drop lol. Last part isn't bad but I'm restricted from most schooling fish, angels and discus lol
Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by derail
Lol I'm jealous for two reasons. First, a free 55g rocks, second I wish my ph was that close to neutral. My tap ph is 8.4, hardness about 18kh and alkalinity? Well, I could pour a bottle of vinegar in my tank and the ph wouldn't drop lol. Last part isn't bad but I'm restricted from most schooling fish, angels and discus lol
WOW!!!
I thought my water is hard and alkaline! I am using natural regulator ph7.0 but even double dose not doing anything. Just makes water white and cloudy for few hours. At least we don't have to worry about ph crashes!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah ph crashes are terrible. Honestly, I wouldn't use a chemical to adjust the ph...once you start you won't stop. A RO system is best for neutral water. You can also filter with peat moss, which will initially tint the water. I like my crunchy water lol. I can keep neon tetras if acclimated slowly, but the buggers usually cause an ich outbreak lol. I like guppies, mollys, platys, sword tails and african cichlids. Consequently sword tails make good dither fish for mbuna, same tastes and they're fast enough to be safe. I've recently found that three spot gourami and dwarf gourami love my water. Only downside is most new world cichlids aren't fans of my water

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com