Freshwater clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have golden clams in two of my tanks. I never see them. They burrow into the gravel and I only see them once a week when I gravel vac and unbury them. They really don't add much benefit to the tank. I just thought they were cool and my daughter wanted some. If you can get real freshwater clams now that may be a different story. I have no experience with them but have read that they are good biofilters. Maybe someone else can help with those

clams are filter feeders,so unless you have a very mature tank i wouldnt suggest getting one.

Reactions: HN1
Agreed. Most tend to slowly die in aquaria and when they go, they can tank everything down with them. Better avoided IMHO.

Yes I agree, my crayfish however beg to differ. They seem to be taking them out after I do a water change before the clam can get itself buried again

My tanks been up for just over a month, I have java moss some plant and a moss ball. I get algae on the aquarium wall? My nitrate and ammo are fine would it be ok???

probably not,i would wait at least 6 months,even for a large tank.

Yes I agree, my crayfish however beg to differ. They seem to be taking them out after I do a water change before the clam can get itself buried again

Crayfish are completely different feeders than clams. Big difference between scavenger of everything and filter feeder.

My tanks been up for just over a month, I have java moss some plant and a moss ball. I get algae on the aquarium wall? My nitrate and ammo are fine would it be ok???

No. Your tank is no where near "established". How's nitrite? How'd you cycle? What animals do you currently have in what sized tank?

Crayfish are completely different feeders than clams. Big difference between scavenger of everything and filter feeder.

No. Your tank is no where near "established". How's nitrite? How'd you cycle? What animals do you currently have in what sized tank?
i think he meant the crays ate the clams

Yes, the crate ate like ninjas. They take out anything they can. I moved a castle decoration in my daughters tank and found seven rams horn snail shells. No wonder the crayfish seem to always be smiling. They are fat and happy.

I agree too and I have them. A waste of money. Plus you never know when they are dead until it throws your tank off

Back
Top Bottom