Freshwater fish in saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank220

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I fed my mantis shrimp a fresh water guppy that was apparently pregnant and the shrimp spit out the babies. Now one of the babies has survives many hours in a saltwater tank. Did it some how convert to saltwater? Is that even possible and has anyone actually seen it before?

Not sure about guppy's, but there are live-bearers that have been known to live in saltwater, like mollys and sword-tails. So what i guess i am getting at is they might be able to live out there lives in saltwater.

Ya I think it is still alive. And I kinda thought that after about an hour that for some reason, he just might be able to live in there and ya it was a live bearer

I've heard of mollies being acclimated to full salt before but how weird is it that your shrimp ate a guppy and spit out the fry?!?!!?!

Ya Ikr! Idk why but he also spit out half of the pregnant fish. But he came back and ate it later in the night

I have had guppies in my trigger tank going on 5 mon. I feed him them the ones he don't won't live till he eats them or thay just swim around and yes thay will live in saltwater it's crazy but thay do just fine ;)

♡aqwagurl♡

Yes, guppies and mollies both can be acclimated to live in full marine conditions just fine. Both actually prefer at least some salinity in their environment.

They are called brackish fish. They live by where rivers meet the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom