Freshwater Predator or Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank9498

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm asking for a 60+ gal tank for Christmas and im unsure if I should start a saltwater or a freshwater predator tank.

The most spectacular freshwater predators get too large for a 60, so I'd go with a reef tank. 60 is a good first sw tank. I have a 55, and it's a lot of fun.

60+ gallon would be great to start a nice saltwater predator tank or reef :)

What kinds of fish can I put in there?? Like wrasse and queen angels???

The angel would get to large but you could do a dwarf. Angels however are not reef safe or with caution at best so if you want corals I'd steer clear of them. Try going onto liveaquaria.com and refine your search to fish that'll be compatible to a tank that size (when they are adults). After finding some fish that catch your interest or you absolutely must have bring your ideas back on here and we can fine tune your stock list.

And if you want a predator tank you could do something like a snowflake eel and a dwarf lionfish.

Can you guys give me some examples of good predator reef fish or even just like friendly reef fish? I've been looking and I can't really find much

Predator reef: angler, dwarf lion, hawkfish (but a predator reef means no inverts. Just FYI)

Peaceful reef: chromis, bangaii cardinals, clowns, gobies, blennies, reef safe wrasses.

With having a 60 gallon tank I'd definitely reccomend a wrasse for either setup.. the most beautiful (as it seems with most fish lol) are not reef safe but depending on your setup there is almost always a wrasse that'll fit right in.. for a full blown reef gobies, blennys, and clowns are my favorites and with predator tanks eels, angels, lions, anglers, wrasses. One of my absolute favorite sw fish would be the marine betta and melanarus wrasse which depending on the specific fish could fit into nearly any type of setup.

I'm definitely doing a sw tank. The fish look amazing. I'm not sure what type i should setup up though. I'm going to look into it though. When I see some ideas I'll post them.

Ok i think I've figured out what I'm doing! I think I should do a FOWLR tank and then eventually I can turn it to FO or a reef.

For reef safe wrasses, consider the fairy wrasses. I have an exquisite fairy wrasse, and he is aptly named!
Add a small school of blue lined cardinals, a pair of clowns, a dwarf angel, and you've got the rainbow covered.

Definitely doing a FOWLR tank! Thanks guys. Any clue how much 56 pounds if live rock will cost??

56lbs of live will be very expensive ranging from like 6-12 dollars per pound.. get 50 lbs of base tock 6-10 lbs of live rock.

depends on where you buy it.

I've got over 700lbs in my tank,thankfully I got a great deal on it.

You can use that agrocrete stuff and seed it , that would be a cheaper option.

What I recommend to save cost is to get 2-3 pieces of the best rock you can. The good stuff that's covered with coraline, sponges, little duster worms, algae, etc. and make up the rest with dry base rock. Base rock is usually less than half the price, and all the life from the other rocks will seed it pretty quickly if there is food available.

Ok so I just need lots of base rock the haha. Is base rock cheap?

Back
Top Bottom