From gravel to sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
did you do the change with fish in the tank? i have old sand that needs replacing with some new! how often do you stir the sand?

To anyone wanting to convert to sand, do it! Its a great change. Wash the sand extremely well, even if it says its been washed, it still has dust in it. To wash it put it in a bucket with a hose running water into the bottom of the bucket, moving clean water up through the sand, and out of the bucket. Dump it in the tank when its clean, even it out, and fill it up. The legend about it messing impellers and other parts up are fake, the only way it could mess something up is if you dumped sand into the intake. It will be foggy when you first put it in, but goes away over night. I hope this helps anyone. And a reply to Steg22, I wouldn't do it with fish in. The particles may harm the fish. Why do you need to replace the sand? Color? Just stir the sand and it should turn back to its natural color.

just because it was a second hand tank? how much should i stir it per change?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but new sand releases toxic gasses, and aren't harmful unless they REALLY build up. Just sift your hand through the sand and poke holes every now and then to release the gas, that should fix the color of your sand too. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom