From gravel to sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I couldn't find any good sand here in this little Alaskan town. I was going to use creek sand or glacial sand, but then my LFS owner told me it would decay in 2 months. So, I decided no sand. Then he gave me 40lbs of white sand he wasn't using any longer!

It's gorgeous! I am so happy! The sand is in my daughters community tank and the kuhli loaches and corydoras are so happy :) This tank has been changing over from my 10 year old son to our 14 year old daughter. So, a lot of things are changing; decor, background, substrate ect. It's tons of fun to see the transformation from "his" to "hers".

Before:
DSC00505.JPG

After:
DSC01390.JPG

Kuhlis
DSC01385.JPG

We will be adding more java moss, Corkscrew Val, and floating plants...unsure which kind as of now.
What a difference this tank has made from skulls and gravel; a cluttered mess, to pristine and simple. Love it!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I really think it looks nice too. I just put the plants in 2 days ago, so it's pretty bare right now. I can't wait till it fills in.

Man I love the kuli loaches but they always get eaten in my 120 gallon community if I could get them large like yours but I can only seem to find small ones

Man I love the kuli loaches but they always get eaten in my 120 gallon community if I could get them large like yours but I can only seem to find small ones

They are cool. Mine were quite small when I got them, but man did they grow fast!!! In one month they filled out and went from 1" to 2.8" in the first month. Now they are closing in on 4". Been less than 6 months.

I have some in with sand and others in with gravel. When I changed over from gravel to sand in this aquarium, the kuhlis seemed to like the change, but I have found the ones in the gravel actually fair better than those with sand because they can actually HIDE. They burrow into the smooth gravel and are safe and don't resurface until they are bigger. The ones in the sand tank are always ontop of the sand fully exposed...They hide beneath the plants but still...not as good a hiding spot as with the gravel.

Added new background, some driftwood and two new plants. LFS didn't know what these were, but I thought I'd give it a shot. If they die, big bummer because they cost $40, but if they live, terrific!!!:D

DSC01552.JPG

Last edited:
The big plant is a sword:) they are really heavy root feeders. Do you have root in the sand?

Oh okay! Thanks! Actually, I haven't taken it out of the pot yet because I was trying to figure out how to care for it. So, move the sand, put down tons of root tabs in the area and then put the plant ontop and bury with sand? Is that right? Is it a low-light plant (hopefully :eek:)

Lovin Fish said:
Oh okay! Thanks! Actually, I haven't taken it out of the pot yet because I was trying to figure out how to care for it. So, move the sand, put down tons of root tabs in the area and then put the plant ontop and bury with sand? Is that right? Is it a low-light plant (hopefully :eek:)

Sorry, can u start a thread on it? I would love to help you there!! I don't want to go too off topic:D

Decided to return the beautiful sword plant because it's needs way beyond what I am striving for with our tanks. Unfortunately; it was gorgeous! Anyway, here is an updated pick...just added more plants yesterday and have more on the way.

DSC01686.JPG

DSC01677.JPG
DSC01678.JPG
DSC01684.JPG
DSC01694.JPG
DSC01699.JPG

Last edited:
Any problems with the sand settling? You have an HOB filter? I do and I've had people warn me about sand ruining the impeller. So I have been worried about switching to sand

Any problems with the sand settling? You have an HOB filter? I do and I've had people warn me about sand ruining the impeller. So I have been worried about switching to sand

I do have a HOB filter. No problems, but when I stir the sand I turn the filter off until the sand settles, then switch it back on. Sometimes it primes itself, other times it needs a little help getting started again. Doesn't bug me though.

Lovin Fish said:
I do have a HOB filter. No problems, but when I stir the sand I turn the filter off until the sand settles, then switch it back on. Sometimes it primes itself, other times it needs a little help getting started again. Doesn't bug me though.

K thanks.maybe I'll make the switch soon then! Just gotta get the courage up to do it!

Back
Top Bottom