Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

gauging interest in decoration sales

hello, im pretty new to the site and aquarium keeping, but for the longest time i have had the idea of completely or just partially decorating a tank with hand crafted glass decorations. also i am in the process of making my own sort of bog wood driftwood hybrid. dont know how that will turn out but if anyone would be interested, hypothetically, in buying stuff like this to decorate their tank let me know. i just want to figure out if i could possibly make money off of these things by selling them to small pet stores and lfs.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glass has silica in it which feeds BA (Diatoms), so something to consider when marketing anything is what's it gonna do to a customers tank/fish stock IMO/E.

What's the bog wood hybrid made of? How does it look? Again, when thinking of creating something, you don't want to use anything that will have an adverse effect on a customers tank/fish stock IMO/E.

Good luck and post pics of your ideas!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Glass has silica in it which feeds BA (Diatoms), so something to consider when marketing anything is what's it gonna do to a customers tank/fish stock IMO/E.

What's the bog wood hybrid made of? How does it look? Again, when thinking of creating something, you don't want to use anything that will have an adverse effect on a customers tank/fish stock IMO/E.

Good luck and post pics of your ideas!
I don't think that glass has the ability to leach silicates, but I could be wrong, it's not something I'm well versed in. I know I've used glass marbles as substrate in a few tanks and cannot recall any more diatoms than in a regular gravel tank. Another thing I'd be concerned with is the type of paints/chemicals used in the process of making these things, just be sure they are totally fish safe.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

If glass leeched silicates acrylic tanks would be the only way to go. Fortunately they don't so we can have glass tanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What material are the majority oh aquaria made of?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have pictures?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
If glass leeched silicates acrylic tanks would be the only way to go. Fortunately they don't so we can have glass tanks.
Why? Glass is cheap and plentiful, besides which, do you think aquarium mfg's care what happens after they get your buck? Such naiveté lol.

In an effort to keep from hijacking this thread I'll start one in the lounge on Why are most Aquariums made of glass.

+1

Pics are worth a thousand words.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Why? Glass is cheap and plentiful, besides which, do you think aquarium mfg's care what happens after they get your buck? Such naiveté lol.

In an effort to keep from hijacking this thread I'll start one in the lounge on Why are most Aquariums made of glass.

+1

Pics are worth a thousand words.

And facts don't need nearly as many words to describe them.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I dont think that the glass leeches silica because it has a rigid molecule structure, but I'm not sure. I will look into this leeching thing though because the colors have certain elements that if they do leech (i.e. The reds oranges and yellows have arsenic in them) that would be most unfortunate. But it is safe for potable water and I have seen people keep tanks with large amounts of glass work in them.

The bog wood is sort of an experiment. I'm doing a few different batches. One im just making regular driftwood, another I'm making a sort of dark driftwood that will look like bog wood, and the last batch I put into a bog simulation with a lot of leaves and stagnant water in a trash can fora few months. I just started this so it's gonna be a few months until it's done.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh and glass has no paints on it. You can paint glass but most people who are actually melting it are using glass that has color from certain elements such as cobalt and silver that are added to the molecular structure of the glass.

Tags
deco, decor, decorations, driftwood, glass, interesting, question, sales

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com