Geophagus Jurupari - any 1st hand experience??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDMac74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally found a home for my Convicts and Firemouths. Re did my tank yesterday. Added 3 peppered Cory's, 3 banded Cory's and - finally found a healthy "Eartheater". Always wanted one, but true Jurupari are hard to find. What an amazingly strange and beautiful fish! He is in my 60 gallon planted "blackwater" tank which he shares with 2 Red Severums, 1 male Blue Ram, 4 Angels and the 6 Cory's.
This fish is unlike any South American Cichlid I have ever owned. He is BRIGHT green with RED fins.
My question - does anyone have or have had these fish in THEIR tanks? Was the "Earth eating" an issue? It seems to me that it is a benefit because mine seems to just Clean the top layer - no digging, yet! He is about 3" head to tail so he is young. Have read that it takes years to reach full size.
Any reccomendations? Do's? Don'ts?
Thanks - Sam

Great fish the Jurupari, I had two about ten years ago and they were my favorite fish. they are very interesting to watch as they seem to be watching you lots of the time. they love to pick up the gravel and spit out as to seach for left over food. they can be aggressive at times.

Back
Top Bottom