giant African shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i haven't been on for a while so I thought I'd share a picture of my new shrimp my hubby bought me, his name is mozzi and he's blue but the pictures don't show up well and if anyone has any experience with these guy's that would be great :)

ForumRunner_20130929_230947.jpg

ForumRunner_20130929_231207.jpg

They're just like bamboo shrimp, they're filter feeders. Make sure they have a place to perch with a good water flow, you'll see him fan out his filters to catch food particles. If you see him picking in the gravel, he's not getting enough food in his filters.

Look up vampire shrimp.

They're just like bamboo shrimp, they're filter feeders. Make sure they have a place to perch with a good water flow, you'll see him fan out his filters to catch food particles. If you see him picking in the gravel, he's not getting enough food in his filters.

Look up vampire shrimp.

Thanks, he sits on the coconut cave fanning so he seems to be doing fine. I've also been target feeding him every second day.

Wow he looks cool. I've always wanted one but they're hard to find in Canada. Enjoy him!!!!

Is he solo or tank mates?

Wow he looks cool. I've always wanted one but they're hard to find in Canada. Enjoy him!!!!

Is he solo or tank mates?

Thanks! I hope things are well for you.
I bought him for my elephant nose tank but it didn't work out very well so he's been put in my 16gallon tank with my betta and apple snails and he's doing great in there :)

Any update on the shrimp? My lfs said they might be getting a couple next week

Any update on the shrimp? My lfs said they might be getting a couple next week

Hi, ddodad how are you? My shrimp are doing great thanks no issues with them. I'm actually really enjoying keeping them, really interesting guy's :)

ForumRunner_20131125_201221.jpg

Hi, ddodad how are you? My shrimp are doing great thanks no issues with them. I'm actually really enjoying keeping them, really interesting guy's :)

I'm pretty good as always dealing with issues with the kids, but not going to complain and you? I am looking forward to when my lfs gets them. I am pretty sure I will be able to put them into my planted community tank

I'm pretty good as always dealing with issues with the kids, but not going to complain and you? I am looking forward to when my lfs gets them. I am pretty sure I will be able to put them into my planted community tank

I'm fine thanks same as you one thing after another! Hope you get them really cool to see. Make sure you post pics when you get them.

How big do they get ? Can they be in a 3 gallon with 2 mystery snails ? The tank is heated and filtered and is at 71-72 degrees , can they pinch you ? And will it destroy my bettas fins ? Lol sorry for asking so much questions

I'm fine thanks same as you one thing after another! Hope you get them really cool to see. Make sure you post pics when you get them.
If and when I get them I will for sure post some pics. My bamboo shrimp are doing amazing I lost one those buggers like to escape, I think they will get along in the community tank
How big do they get ? Can they be in a 3 gallon with 2 mystery snails ? The tank is heated and filtered and is at 71-72 degrees , can they pinch you ? And will it destroy my bettas fins ? Lol sorry for asking so much questions

Personally I think that's way too small for them. They will not hurt any tank mates from my research. They are filter feeders so they need current. Someone correct my if I'm with but they can reach 4-6 inches

Your right ddodad, they get pretty big up to 6 inches I've actually seen bigger! My two have there own tank with my snail's they were suppose to go in my 53 but it just didn't work.

Your right ddodad, they get pretty big up to 6 inches I've actually seen bigger! My two have there own tank with my snail's they were suppose to go in my 53 but it just didn't work.
Let me guess your elephant nose didn't approve

My wife saw one and wanted to add it to our main tank I quickly remembered yours and how anti social it is. Right now we can't afford a new tank so no elephant nose yet

Back
Top Bottom