giant otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked this guy up today. I've searched for info but am coming up with nothing. They had him listed as a Giant Otocinclus "rare, new import". :?: Anyone have any info on these guys?

Nope. :? Not even there. I'm sure it's there, somewhere. Just don't have the latin name to find it.

Thanks Bearfan! That does look like it. Still can't find any info though. Just locations and pics. :?

I tried to match your photo to one of the species and then did a search. Here is what I found and hopefully I matched the fish correctly.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?ID=50488

Family: Loricariidae (Armored catfishes) , subfamily: Hypoptopomatinae
Order: Siluriformes (catfish)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name:
Max. size: 7.0 cm SL (male/unsexed; Ref. 36885)
Environment: demersal; freshwater
Climate: tropical
Importance:
Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months (Preliminary K or Fecundity.)
Distribution:
Gazetteer South America: Amazon River basin.
Biology:
Red List Status: Not in IUCN Red List (NL) (Ref. 53964)
Dangerous: harmless

I searched all the names listed and they all come up short. (literally)The one you have here says max size 7cm. Mine is longer than that. He's over three inches. Most of the others say the same so, I don't know. Either way, he's doing great. He's all over the driftwood. :D

I'm almost positive it Hypoptopoma gulare. They can get up to 4" long, the biggest of Hypoptopoma.

Back
Top Bottom