Gold Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Snapped this pic earlier this evening...

Microgephagus ramirezi (Gold var.)
img_754352_0_79d24bf0d1d4a372c78a53bfe8f9476f.jpg

Olympus SP-500UZ
1/40th sec
f2.8

I'm going to move this to the New Acquisitions section. Beautiful fish and pic!

Thanks for the comments!

As for the blue specks, we have 3 of these that look pretty much identical. They all have the specs. I have no idea what sex they are, since there is no difference in coloration between males and females like 'regular' GBRs. At least I can't see anything that would help me determine that. One of the 3 is a bit smaller than the others, but they all seem to get along really well. I guess they could all be female since they seem pretty docile.

beauty...
I had them as a maybe on my stock list...now they are a lock

Gold Rams are VERY hard to find in the areas I shop for fish. Only one place I know has them (not even close to Toledo so don't ask).

Very pretty fish you have there. Are you tempted to breed it?

JDogg said:
do females gold rams get the pink belly that GBR females get?

Yes.

We just brought in a bunch at the shop...probably the nicest rams of any colour that we have ever had in....several pairs that we sold apparently spawned within days of being introduced to their new homes.

Thanks for all the comments. I vowed no never buy Rams again after losing so many GBRs. Even with pristine water and perfect chemistry, I had never been able to keep. My wife twisted my arm one day and we came home with 4 of them. We lost one of them about 2 months ago, but the remaining 3 have done very well. The fact that I now think I have 3 males leads me to believe that the other fish may have been a female.....which would explain why she was so stressed! I will take a closer look at them tonight. If they are indeed 3 males, I may end up trying to find some females and try to spawn them. I have a spare 20G that I can set up as a breeder for them.

Back
Top Bottom