Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool Got my Convicts!!

Well, I just got my convict pair today. They look great, i'm pretty sure I got a male and a female. Once they are done floating and I let them free I will snap a picture of them and tell me what you think.

I am planning on breeding these obviously, i'm not breeding these for the money though, so don't bring that up. I know if I did plan on selling these I would get like no money. I'm pretty much doing this for the fun of it. Breeding fish is a very interesting and fun thing to do. I just want to watch them be parents and watch how things work. If I do get anymore, then that is just a plus.

Well the pictures will be here soon once they are released in about 10-20min, so keep watching

Old 01-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Picture Time.

Hey members,

I got my pictures of the Convicts so I hope you enjoy. Sorry for the bad quality, but they wouldn't sit still so I couldn't get a very good picture with the camera I have. Later on tonight when they are resting, I might quickly turn on their light on the aquarium and snap some shots since they will be resting and sitting still. Then I will shut off the light and let them be.

Well here they are, i'm sure you will be able to tell the difference between the male and the female, but I will label it anyways.

Male

Female

Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nice, I plan on trying to get a pair in the near future. Do people get ridiculed for trying to sell them?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I wouldn't say ridiculed, but I know people wouldn't plan on breeding these for money. It's just they are so easy to breed and are pretty common actually, that some people either have to give the babies away, or pay people to take them.

Every once in awhile you'll get lucky and be able to find a buyer, my LFS decided to start buying from me once my breeding starts going, since it will be easier to get them from me then buying from somone else. Plus they know I will take good care of them, plus they are going to give be quite a bit for them actually, since they sell them higher price at their store.

If your looking to breeder something with a for sure money maker, I just wouldn't try convicts. I'm just doing it for the fun of it, but yeah do what you want. Just don't be counting on making money off convict fry.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I wasnt going to try to breed them for money at all. This is kind of just an experiment. Looking for something different to do. I would most likely give any fry to my brother and uncle, who are more into this than I am.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then that's fine, have fun with it.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

convicts.

i have a 25 gal community tank with various cichlids and larger tetras. i dont want to breed convicts but i really want to add one or two to my tank. would it be okay to have only one convict?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's fine if you only have one convict, but you really shouldn't have a bunch of cichlids and tetras and convicts together a small tank like that.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very pretty fish, Ben. But weren't you going to start an aggressive SW tank? Maybe it was someone else and age is just adling my brain! They are nice though.

Curly
Old 01-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copepod View Post
Very pretty fish, Ben. But weren't you going to start an aggressive SW tank? Maybe it was someone else and age is just adling my brain! They are nice though.

Curly

That was deff. not me haha. I was going to start about a FW baracuda tank, but can't right now because of the winter weather.

Thanks for the compliment though

Tags
convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com