Got my Convicts!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I just got my convict pair today. They look great, i'm pretty sure I got a male and a female. Once they are done floating and I let them free I will snap a picture of them and tell me what you think.

I am planning on breeding these obviously, i'm not breeding these for the money though, so don't bring that up. I know if I did plan on selling these I would get like no money. I'm pretty much doing this for the fun of it. Breeding fish is a very interesting and fun thing to do. I just want to watch them be parents and watch how things work. If I do get anymore, then that is just a plus.

Well the pictures will be here soon once they are released in about 10-20min, so keep watching :)

Picture Time.

Hey members,

I got my pictures of the Convicts so I hope you enjoy. Sorry for the bad quality, but they wouldn't sit still so I couldn't get a very good picture with the camera I have. Later on tonight when they are resting, I might quickly turn on their light on the aquarium and snap some shots since they will be resting and sitting still. Then I will shut off the light and let them be.

Well here they are, i'm sure you will be able to tell the difference between the male and the female, but I will label it anyways.

Male
img_943776_0_6063b4824fc92f55d2975bd96a8c682d.jpg

Female
img_943776_1_7cb3372f4afbe23f66f9416f521a08f3.jpg

Nice, I plan on trying to get a pair in the near future. Do people get ridiculed for trying to sell them?

Well, I wouldn't say ridiculed, but I know people wouldn't plan on breeding these for money. It's just they are so easy to breed and are pretty common actually, that some people either have to give the babies away, or pay people to take them.

Every once in awhile you'll get lucky and be able to find a buyer, my LFS decided to start buying from me once my breeding starts going, since it will be easier to get them from me then buying from somone else. Plus they know I will take good care of them, plus they are going to give be quite a bit for them actually, since they sell them higher price at their store.

If your looking to breeder something with a for sure money maker, I just wouldn't try convicts. I'm just doing it for the fun of it, but yeah do what you want. Just don't be counting on making money off convict fry.

I wasnt going to try to breed them for money at all. This is kind of just an experiment. Looking for something different to do. I would most likely give any fry to my brother and uncle, who are more into this than I am.

convicts.

i have a 25 gal community tank with various cichlids and larger tetras. i dont want to breed convicts but i really want to add one or two to my tank. would it be okay to have only one convict?

Very pretty fish, Ben. But weren't you going to start an aggressive SW tank? Maybe it was someone else and age is just adling my brain! They are nice though.

Curly

Very pretty fish, Ben. But weren't you going to start an aggressive SW tank? Maybe it was someone else and age is just adling my brain! They are nice though.

Curly

That was deff. not me haha. I was going to start about a FW baracuda tank, but can't right now because of the winter weather.

Thanks for the compliment though :D

if one of your convicts has any orange on its belly then its a female. if not then male. or if one has a lump on its head then its a male. they loook good. im guessin that was your final choice for your predator tank.

if one of your convicts has any orange on its belly then its a female. if not then male. or if one has a lump on its head then its a male. they loook good. im guessin that was your final choice for your predator tank.

Mike,

I already knew all about the female and male difference, you don't need to tell me. Just wanted somone to secound me.

Convicts are not predators, i'm obv. not doing my predator tank until later or I would of said something.

I honestly dont see any distinguishing features that yell female to me. From what i see in those pic's, you have 2 males. I would like to see updated pic's so i can try and sex them for you. They look good though,

I honestly dont see any distinguishing features that yell female to me. From what i see in those pic's, you have 2 males. I would like to see updated pic's so i can try and sex them for you. They look good though,

Well I know I have a male and female, I think I screwed up and took a picture of the same fish hahaha.

I'll go snap some pictures now and post them up.

I might also take a video, since those convicts of mine do NOT sit still lol.

More Pictures.

Here you go Larry, some more pictures. Hope this helps you better. You can clearly tell now, I think I just wasn't paying attention when I shot those first ones.

Here is the Male (Can't believe I got the shot of him doing that.)
img_944526_0_06dfafb5b9a4fe6d99d3f230052a0431.jpg

Here is the Female
img_944526_1_153a83fff25d2ed59b22ad49e010bfe3.jpg

Pictures are kind of blurry because of the fact they won't stop moving. Hope that clairifies things. (Don't think I spelled that right. :lach:)

Here you go Larry, some more pictures
My name isnt Larry! Its Zeke!

Yep, they are male and female. Watch out for eggs, i can tell your females egg laying tube is becomming visable. I would give them less than a week .

My name isnt Larry! Its Zeke!

Yep, they are male and female. Watch out for eggs, i can tell your females egg laying tube is becomming visable. I would give them less than a week .

SORRY!!! I keep talking to a Larry on here so I wasn't paying attention, you can tell I do that a lot. God I feel dumb. :lach:

Yeah, i've been doing frequent water changes and feeding them a lot more often with freeze dried blood worms through out the day, then high quality flake food before lights out. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom