green water problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlorn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone i was wondering if any of u have any advice my 70/80 litre fish tank keeps getting green water and it smells mouldy. Ive done 25% then two 50% water changes over a week as advised by the local fish shop. However it has still gone green i had really clear water for a week after the change although it was clear green but had no smell. I dont know what to do. my fish are happy and heathly i have 5 mollys 1 loach 4 male guppys and 1 alibino catfish. I have a good filter the correct size for my tank and a good heater. I also make sure aquasafe goes in with the water change. Which leads me on to my next problem. The chlorine levels in my water are high i did a strip test of my own drinking water and it told me to do a water change!! I put the aquasafe safe in let it settle and it still tells me to change the water. Please help this is driving me nuts.

I'm currently having the same problem. It sounds like an algae bloom.

The best way to get rid of it would be to firstly avoid direct sunlight at all costs, then reduce the amount of time your lights are on as much as possible. Algae needs light to live and grow.

Keeping your water clean and lowering the amount of food you give your fish for several days will also help to starve the algae.

What lights do you have and how long do you keep them on for?

Adding plants can also help as they use the nutrients the algae need.

Good luck and let me know how you get on, I know how annoying it is!!

Hey thanks for responding. The tank has been moved and isnt in ny direct light. Um lets see the light i use is a low blue LED light. Its only ever on for about 2-3 hours sometimes less. Ive got guppys and the fish guy in the shop told me to feed the fish small amounts twice a day. He said to do this to avoid the other fish eating the guppys tails. Im going to do another 50% change tomorrow and maybe take out my plastic plants and give them a clean. Im thinking of getting a uv sterilizer maybe that might help.

Back
Top Bottom