Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinrockwood View Post
The more that I have been looking at this side of the "fish" world the better it looks. Going between this and my African tank is like riding my bike then switching to a scooter. Nothing wrong with scooters. It's just different. Upgrading looks good but think we will just keep it on the small scale for now. Let's see if I can keep them alive first.
Haha good idea! Since shrimp have virtually no bio load, I would change most of the water on a very regular basis. Make sure to tempature match too

Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Weekly water changes? I know about temperature but would it hurt if 75-90% were changed? Daily feeding a also? Thanks

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinrockwood View Post
Weekly water changes? I know about temperature but would it hurt if 75-90% were changed? Daily feeding a also? Thanks
Shrimp are scavengers and eat throughout the day. I say yes a super tiny pinch of something healthy a few times a day is perfect
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

the jewels will trap a bunch of gunk so those may need to be cleaned pretty often. Small water changes more frequently if necessary. They don't like large changes in pH, etc. Kind of like mellow water, but clean. You can remove and keep the cleaner top half to 3/4 of the water and rinse the bottom and jewels (best with treated water, to preserve any BB and biofilm for the shrimp) to get the dirty gunk out and then add back the new water treated always.

You may want to consider removing some of the jewels for more room for the water. And less places for baby shrimp to get trapped. You have air in there right or a filter ?

Looks cute.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes air is in there. I removed 80% of the jewels. It looks better and I agree about them getting caught down there. Water changes will be a piece if cake. I live off of well water that has no chemicals in it. It is a little hard but I will use the water that passes thru the softener. All alive today.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Does the water softner use salt pellets? If so you could use a britta type filter instead. You can also do a test to the water to see what the parameters are with the britta type filter and without.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great tank build! I love that you put shrimp in it. They are the perfect choice for the tank. Looks amazing!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thumbs up

Really love seeing the DIY projects like this that make the hobby cool to kids and gets their minds engaged, way to go!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the kind words. It was a fun project to do with my girls and they enjoy having fish of their own.

Tags
bowl, fish, fish bowl

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com