Guppies eating own fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea they do eat their own fry sometimes. I had a molly who gave birth to 30 fry and ate them all in the hospital tank.

Guppies

Has anyone ever heard of guppies eating there fry? I had about 12 fry in my tank and now their are only 2

Hello neon...

Welcome to the world of livebearing fishes. This is natural for Guppies. They tend to be cannibalistic if the adults aren't fed enough and there aren't enough floating plants to hide the fry.

I've kept large tanks of these fish for some time and have a lot of Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort covering the surface areas. This is all that's needed along with feeding the fish a little more and a little more often. It has been my experience that well fed adult fish show little or no interest in the fry.

B

Saving Livebearing Fry

Has anyone ever heard of guppies eating there fry? I had about 12 fry in my tank and now their are only 2

Hello again neon...

If you'll drop a lot of individual stems of floating plants like Anacharis Hornwort and Pennywort, you'll have a much higher fry survival rate. When they are born, fry immediately swim to the surface for a breath of air and find a place to rest and hide from aggressive adults. If there is a lot of thick plants covering the surface the little ones can swim up into the mass.

Attached is a pic of one of my Guppy tanks. The surface is completely covered in floating plants. With this much area to hide, I have a lot fry that survive. After a week or two, the fry are large enough to swim around without being a larger fish's lunch.

B

img_2951938_0_bab8ea82490889e65035b0b42f82b884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

O no wonder my tank has no decor I'm in the process of making the tank my stepmom thought they were sick so I took them and put them in my tank. A day later i had about 15 fry in there. They weren't sick they were prego so maybe next time I'll have decor and they will survive. I'm not to great on live plants so maybe I'll get some fake ones instead ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400791113.490716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom