Harlequin Tusk Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really sorry to hear that he died, but it is an unfortunate part of this hobby. I have had a couple die and it always makes me feel awful. They are "just fish," but they are still living creatures with their own personalities that rely on me to survive.

That being said, my Tusk was an 6" adult that cost me $180. Even at that, he was still bullied by my yellow tang who was 1/2 his size. Some people say to attach mirrors to the side of the tank and the tang will become obsessed with the "other tang" in the tank.

My tusk spent the first week hanging out vertical in the corner of the tank. He eventually go used to his tank mates, but the tang would always occasionaly go over to tail slap him when he was sleeping.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Harlequin Tusk

Just fished my tusk out of the 90g, dead. :-( :-( So upset, but knew it was a gamble with him being so small. Still pretty bummed though. "tusky" was such a little sweetie. I may have to spend some extra $$ and get a larger one next time.

That sux.. Sorry to hear that.

The only tang in that tank is a blue eyed bristletooth but there are some other aggressive fish. Wrasses, mostly. Hoping a larger one will fare better and not hide like this one did.

He was eating like a pig and he wasnt bothered by the other fish the times I sat and watched which was quite alot. lol He had scrapes on him which i am sure was from him hiding in tight spots to avoid the other fish, he also only came out at night the week or two that I've had him. I contacted the shop I got him from and requested a larger tusk, this one was way too tiny and I kinda had hoped he would make it but I had my doubts. So hopefully in a week or two I will have another one alot larger so there is no question about his tankmates beating him up.

A larger one might be a good idea. They are the best fish although mine is a bit of a bully he calms down outside feeding time and gladly swims with the file fish and puffer.

Ashley73 said:
Got out a gap. Not sure how long he had been on the floor. I had gauze there but he must have forced his way through.

Go to your local home depot/lowes and tell them you want to build your own screen lids. they will show you where the materials are and its fairly cheap. Cost me under $30 to make 3 screen lids for my 125 and theres not a single gap anywhere

Just added a tankmate for my Tusk. Lionfish eyeing him off a bit. Maybe should have bought one a bit bigger.

Attachments

• image-943821854.jpg
    image-943821854.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 74
RIP little guy. Turns out you weren't big enough ( Damm dwarf lion).

Attachments

• image-2863255568.jpg
    image-2863255568.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 81
New addition to the tusks tank. They are getting along famously.

Attachments

• image-1910112887.jpg
    image-1910112887.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 79
Sorry about your clown. :-( But glad the new fish is doing well. :) Good luck !

Thanks. Have you got another tusk yet? There's one at LFS, hes huge, twice the size if mine and hes an aussie.. only 90$. Massive teeth.

No, I havent. been concentrating on the new 180g I got. just picked up a nice size naso tang, that was my big fish purchase this month. lol

How is the tusk doing? I lost my original one due to an incident with my lion, but I just got another one today. I missed how active he was all day.

Have you decided whether to restart your tank Ashley? Or have you already? I havent seen any updates from you recently, though with all the posts on here i could have easily missed it. :)

No just got my Moray not game a the moment. Lost my Nerve a bit to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom