help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelv85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 6 tetras 3 days ago all was good until today I've noticed there all swimming by there selves and not in a group as they have done since I got them, is this normal?

To my understanding they only swim together when stressed. Do the fact that they are doing what ever tells me they are accustomed too your tank and happy and comfortable. :)
If I'm wrong someone please correct me!

Found an interesting article about schooling..
"schooling is a response to perceived threat. It the wild, predators are to be assumed, a given, and the individuals in the school stay on alert. In our tanks it requires no more than a few days for the fish to "learn" that the threat level is very low. Tight cohesive formation is unnecessary. So they scatter here and there, with conspecifics in sight, but no more than that. So we delight in seeing the school act like our idea of a school the first few days, and after that, rarely. Corydorus cats are especially good at that. In fish stores we see them moving back and forth in the tank as a group, a great sight. We do not realize that this is prompted by the fact that they have only been in the tank a day or so, and there are giants, potential predators (us) peering at them from only a foot or so away. Come back a week later. The same group of cats is sitting around the bottom, largely ignoring the giants going by. They have learned we are not predators after all and that there is no way to swim away. Open the tank top, and they start swimming again. The only predator they have seen lately, the net, is on the way. An immediate threat activates flight behavior. The influence of learning on instinctive behavior is obvious."
http://www.aquarianow.com/dynamics/general-freshwater-topics-2/schooling-fish-and-their-behavior-6/

Really good thanks for taking your time to reply

Very good advice and explanation given above. Many people really want a tightly schooling species and even though some species do naturally stick closer to each other, they don't really school.

This is our first aquarium, every time I've seen them before they have always stuck together, was just making sure this was normal behaviour

just chuck in a chunky cichlid every now and again! lol. but you're right my columbians dont school up any more which is a shame but its kinda nice wwatching them do their own thing any way

Back
Top Bottom