Help - new starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PWattwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

This is my 1st message, new to this site as of yesterday (my boyfriend found it- good work)

I have just changed from a fresh water to a tropical tank.
When I was at the country market I was told that my zebra danio, glowlight danio and loach would be fine in a tropical tank, I would just increase the temperature.
I'd wanted a tropical tank for a long time but I didnt want to get rid of my fish so this was perfect.
I bought a new bigger tank. It's not massive, I went from a 14 litre to a 24 litre. My 2 lovely danios and very weird loach have settled in well to their new home.

By this coming weekend the temperature in my tank will be just right for new tropical fish.
I already had my eye on a crab, puffer fish, silver shark, guppys, kribensis.

Any advice on getting started would be great, I don't have any real plants yet as the water is still warming up. All I have is small White gravel/ stones and some lovely shells.

First off, Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

As for the stocking of your tank: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a 24L (almost 7 gallons) is not nearly enough for any of the fish you want. The danios are very active and should be kept in schools of 6+ which would need a 75 liter tank. I don't know what kind of loach you have, but they really need to socialize with their own species, but your tank is not big enough for that.

In order for you to stock the fish that you would like, you really need to get at least a 75L tank. This would allow you to stock more fish and keep them happy and healthy.

Hi thanks for your honesty.

I haven't had a tropical tank before so dont want to go mad with a big tank.
I'd preferred a smaller tank for the time being and fish I can look after.

What would u recommend for a new tropical beginner..... :)

Always remember that the bigger the tank the easier it is. A small mistake might stay small in a mid to big size tank, but could be huge in a small one. So always try to go with the bigger your space will allow. If it doesnt workout you can sell it. And besides you have a bf to help you with the bigger water changes. The size tanks you are talking about are just too small for a nice community tropical tank.

Always remember that the bigger the tank the easier it is. A small mistake might stay small in a mid to big size tank, but could be huge in a small one. So always try to go with the bigger your space will allow. If it doesnt workout you can sell it. And besides you have a bf to help you with the bigger water changes. The size tanks you are talking about are just too small for a nice community tropical tank.

Agreed. Community fish like to swim around, if you limit the size of the tank, you limit the activity that the fish is going to have. I recently bought a 10gal (37lt) tank, and used water from my 55gal to get it cycled. I put 4 of my Fancy Guppies (Tropical Community) in the tank to keep the cycle going while she picks out her fish. Now the guppies are less active than they were in my 55gal, they will be pleased to go back home.

For any decent community tank, I'd go no less than a 29gal (109ltr) tank, you do not want to overcrowd your tank, and give them a lot of room to play around in.

The way I always refer to people... would you rather live in a 100 square foot home, or a 3000 square foot home?

There are Nano fish that stay about an inch.
I'm planning a stocking list for my 10g
Celestial Pearl Danios
Threadfin Rainbows
Scarlet Badis
These are NOT beginner fish. The CPDs might be fine. There are also petite Raboras and Danios that may work.

Another suggestion would be to grow Moss and Ferns and do a Cherry Shrimp Tank. They are easy. But you'd have to rehome your fish.

View attachment 48059

View attachment 48060

Very good advice given above. Although I do understand your logic about starting off small, when I look back, I wouldn't start anybody with less than 30 gallons. This allows you the space to properly house multiple species and offers more enjoyment, in my opinion, than a tiny tank does (unless it's a really well done tiny tank). ;)

Justin, did you just use water or gravel, rocks and filtre media? To help cycle the new tank? Remember that BB (benefitial bacteria) grow on surfaces not water. But back on subject, smaller species would be fine if you can get them from a trustworthy place, because some LFS (local fish stores), will tell you anything to make a sale. Some not all.

This is a tropical planted 10 gallon with a happy community of 2 Dalmation Molly's 1 guppy 1 Mickey mouse platy and 3 Stein Cory cats :) it is heavily planted with about 12 stem plants that reproduce and I am able to put in my 20 gallon :) there is also a crypt in there as well. I use no ferts and no Co2 injections. I use no filter media in my hamg on back filter but i leave it on to create a current in the tank, But i would not recomend this until you are sure you have a mature tank. As long as you are smart about a healthy plant to fish ratio and let the ecology build slow you can have a lot of life in a small space :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110817_231357.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110817_231357.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 97
Cart.Poe said:
This is a tropical planted 10 gallon with a happy community of 2 Dalmation Molly's 1 guppy 1 Mickey mouse platy and 3 Stein Cory cats :) it is heavily planted with about 12 stem plants that reproduce and I am able to put in my 20 gallon :) there is also a crypt in there as well. I use no ferts and no Co2 injections. I use no filter media in my hamg on back filter but i leave it on to create a current in the tank, But i would not recomend this until you are sure you have a mature tank. As long as you are smart about a healthy plant to fish ratio and let the ecology build slow you can have a lot of life in a small space :)

Is that photo current? Doesnt seem that heavily planted, compared with other tanks I've seen on the site. But if ammo and nitrites are in check then you have nicely balanced tank.

Yes it is current. The tank and plants have been running over a year. There is a dozen stem plants of an unknown species as well as 3 bunches of crypt. The stem plants have been recently trimmed and are starting to branch already and they were trimmed less than 2 weeks ago!

I consider a tank heavily planted if you can't see the fish through the plants..... :lol:

So do I, but I guess there's the visual and the functional side of it. Visually it might not look heavily planted, but as long as they are sucking up waste it might be.

I consider it heavily planted as it sucks up all wastes. How about instead of "heavily planted" is say "healthily planted" to avoid confusion lol

Hi thanks for your honesty.

I haven't had a tropical tank before so dont want to go mad with a big tank.
I'd preferred a smaller tank for the time being and fish I can look after.

What would u recommend for a new tropical beginner..... :)

Since you are just beginning, I would not necesarrily reccomend nano-fish as mentioned above. I would highly reccomend the humble betta. They are probably the most popular beginner fish and are often fairly hardy. Just make sure your aquarium is cycled and you will be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom