HELP rescue betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard freeze-dried foods are bad unless you soak them (in dechlorinated water) first. Something to look into.

ok, ill do some research. from the pics, you wouldnt happen to know what type he is would you?

Elvis looks kind of like Jacob.

I feed my Betta NLS BEtta food and frozen bloodworms. I agree that www.bettatalk.com is a must read.

Attachments

• image-2366262269.jpg
    image-2366262269.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 75
Ya! A little bit! And, after reading that site... I found out that Elvis is really thin. How should I handle that? Feed more often? And im sooooooooo happy with him! His personality has grown so much since I saved him. He's such a trooper and is turning into a great community fish! He takes naps, and just swims around the tank checking things out. He especially loves it behind the heater I've noticed, cause it's warm I suppose. He appears to have some fin loss/rot, but since I'm doing daily water changes anyhow, im hoping he'll recover. I'm just happy he survived! (he had to ride the schoolbus home, then sit in a dark drawer for 4 hours, until I could get up the nerve to tell my mom that they could actually be community fish, lol.)

Just checked out that site. Very informative! The minute I get the chance my little Elvis is getting freeze dried brine shrimp! How often do I feed the brine shrimp? And freeze dried bloodworms for that matter... After all that I really feel like im feeding my fish McDonalds every freaking day!

I always do frozen shrimp or worms because, as I'm sure you know, betta's are prone to constipation and the freeze dried is more likely to cause that.

Ya, I'll probably wind up going frozen. I'll just have to hide them in the back so my parents don't flip out whenever they go get something in the freezer!

ok, ill do some research. from the pics, you wouldnt happen to know what type he is would you?

I think he's a veiltail. Flakes aren't the best for betta's either. Even betta flakes. Hikari betta bio-gold pellets are great if you can get your hands on those. I rotate those with frozen bloodworms (most of my bettas don't care for brine shrimp) every other day for 6 days and on the 7th day feed a couple pellet sized peices of blanched shelled pea (or you can fast if you prefer).

Ya, I'll probably wind up going frozen. I'll just have to hide them in the back so my parents don't flip out whenever they go get something in the freezer!

That's funny..my mom was here when I was feeding bloodworms once and she couldn't believe it..thought it was so gross...doesn't even bother me :cool:

I'll probably go with that feeding schedule bettababe. Can my other fish go with that too? (three black skirt tetras) and instead of the Betta pellets, just do higher quality flakes?

You mean siva? :) Well everyone does love bloodworms, it seems!

Oh and I forgot to say I wouldn't feed more often. They are senstive to over-eating. Remember their stomach is only the size of their eye, and feed accordingly. It's hard because they will beg for more, but use restraint..he should plump up a bit in no time ;)

Another update, so I just saw elvis's first attempt at claiming a territory a minute ago. I walked into the room and looked for him, and when I found him he was tucked down in a cave resting. He woke up when he saw me, and as I peered in one of the tetras zipped by. Little Elvis flared up, his gills spread out, and he slowly emerged from his cave looking all big and confident. Meanwhile, the tetra had this look on his face like "your kidding me right?" and I cracked up. So Elvis started moving towards the tetra, all threatening and flared up, and the tetra just came up, flicked him in the nose with his tail, and swam off. That little tetra sure is sassy! After being easily outswam by the tetra, Elvis went back to just swimming around, like the whole thing was just a test run to see what his opponent would do.

Ok... I'm a little bit worried now. The whole day today, he's just been swimming around the bottom of the tank. He swims up every once in a while, but other wise, just swims around the bottom. I'm really concerned. Help?

Well, if you still have a high Nitrite reading (5 ppm last update?) I wouldn't be surprised. Nitrites are just as, if not more, dangerous than ammonia.

Ok, results are:
Nitrite: 5 (crap!!)
Ammonia: about .10
Nitrate: 20
I'll do another 50% to get that flippin nitrite down, but he seems to have perked up a little.

You have Prime, right? Dosing every 24 hours should keep it neutralized until you're cycled.

Ya, that's it. I'll do that water change in a sec. I'm just happy my nitrates are sane again.

Did the water change, and he's looking much better. I just want to check this out just in case, but will Elvis be ok with this stocking:
Elvis
2 black mollies
2 African Dwarf Frogs
2 guppies
This will, in a year or so, be the ten gallon stock list permanently, but until then it will be a QT for my fish in my new 29 gallon. I just need to make sure he won't eat anybody... Especially the guppies.

Back
Top Bottom