Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've heard freeze-dried foods are bad unless you soak them (in dechlorinated water) first. Something to look into.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #22

ok, ill do some research. from the pics, you wouldnt happen to know what type he is would you?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Elvis looks kind of like Jacob.

I feed my Betta NLS BEtta food and frozen bloodworms. I agree that www.bettatalk.com is a must read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2366262269.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	33001  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #24

Ya! A little bit! And, after reading that site... I found out that Elvis is really thin. How should I handle that? Feed more often? And im sooooooooo happy with him! His personality has grown so much since I saved him. He's such a trooper and is turning into a great community fish! He takes naps, and just swims around the tank checking things out. He especially loves it behind the heater I've noticed, cause it's warm I suppose. He appears to have some fin loss/rot, but since I'm doing daily water changes anyhow, im hoping he'll recover. I'm just happy he survived! (he had to ride the schoolbus home, then sit in a dark drawer for 4 hours, until I could get up the nerve to tell my mom that they could actually be community fish, lol.)
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
Just checked out that site. Very informative! The minute I get the chance my little Elvis is getting freeze dried brine shrimp! How often do I feed the brine shrimp? And freeze dried bloodworms for that matter... After all that I really feel like im feeding my fish McDonalds every freaking day!
I always do frozen shrimp or worms because, as I'm sure you know, betta's are prone to constipation and the freeze dried is more likely to cause that.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #26

Ya, I'll probably wind up going frozen. I'll just have to hide them in the back so my parents don't flip out whenever they go get something in the freezer!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
ok, ill do some research. from the pics, you wouldnt happen to know what type he is would you?

I think he's a veiltail. Flakes aren't the best for betta's either. Even betta flakes. Hikari betta bio-gold pellets are great if you can get your hands on those. I rotate those with frozen bloodworms (most of my bettas don't care for brine shrimp) every other day for 6 days and on the 7th day feed a couple pellet sized peices of blanched shelled pea (or you can fast if you prefer).
Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ya, I'll probably wind up going frozen. I'll just have to hide them in the back so my parents don't flip out whenever they go get something in the freezer!
That's funny..my mom was here when I was feeding bloodworms once and she couldn't believe it..thought it was so gross...doesn't even bother me
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #29

I'll probably go with that feeding schedule bettababe. Can my other fish go with that too? (three black skirt tetras) and instead of the Betta pellets, just do higher quality flakes?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

You mean siva? Well everyone does love bloodworms, it seems!

Tags
betta, rescue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com