High nitrate but everything else lookin good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok this is my first planted tank with sand. I have had angelfish in this tank for years and a few weeks ago I took all the old fish out, switched to sand, bought a dozen tetras and some plants, set the temperature up a little higher and am trying to get ready for discus. My ph is right at 7.0, everything is good except the nitrate NO3. The other nitrite, NO2 is 0ppm. The NO3 is testing bright red which I'm going to assume is over 140 ppm ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423709719.831529.jpg What's up with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like you just need to do a water change to get the nitrates down. Nitrates are not processed by bacteria, so just remove it through WCs.

Also, have you been researching discus care? Everything I've read about them is that they have some rigid requirements in terms of water parameters. Not your average tropical fish... I'd love to have them some day, but I've concluded they will have to wait until I have more time to devote to the hobby

I have a good friend that has discus and yes I have done LoTs of research. Although no amount of research gives you experience and that's why I need you guys!!! I think my biggest problem with them will be keeping the tank temperature around 84. I've never had a fish that required such warm wAter. Other than that they are very similar to angels, just very expensive so I'm not buying them until my tank is 100% ready and perfect!

I have a good friend that has discus and yes I have done LoTs of research. Although no amount of research gives you experience and that's why I need you guys!!! I think my biggest problem with them will be keeping the tank temperature around 84. I've never had a fish that required such warm wAter. Other than that they are very similar to angels, just very expensive so I'm not buying them until my tank is 100% ready and perfect!

Cool. Wasn't sure if you were buying young discus to grow. I keep reading about keeping them in empty tanks (no substrate, plants, nothing) to keep things optimum in the water. Not sure how much of a necessity that is, but just what I've seen.

Many people go without substrate to help maintain the pristine water conditions that discus require. Substrate can trap detritus over time. So if you have a substrate clean it often.

If temperature is a problem some people use 2-3 smaller heaters instead of one big one to help keep the tank heated properly.

Hope this helps. I've never had discus but I've done some reading on them.

Most people keep discus as a species tank

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

I was going to buy really small discus to let them grow, I don't want (and couldn't afford) lol the huge ones, the sand is apparently the easiest substrate to clean I did not want to go bare bottom. Plants are supposed to be good for them, they help absorb the trapped nitrates and stuff that sand and gravel hold...What do you mean by "species tank"?? I'm kinda new to all this aquarium lingo lol

I was going to buy really small discus to let them grow, I don't want (and couldn't afford) lol the huge ones, the sand is apparently the easiest substrate to clean I did not want to go bare bottom. Plants are supposed to be good for them, they help absorb the trapped nitrates and stuff that sand and gravel hold...What do you mean by "species tank"?? I'm kinda new to all this aquarium lingo lol

Exactly as the name suggests, you would only keep discus in the tank. It would reduce the possibility of them becoming stressed and help keep the water cleaner.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

Ok I thought that was what you meant by species tank, but discus like other schooling fish, I did tetras but rams are also very popular with them, certain catfish and plecos are also a recommended species to keep with them. I don't think I'd want a species tank I like variety :D. Also I took a sample of my water into the pet store and my nitrates and nitrites are fine. My ph is higher than id like 8.2 but that's no biggie because I will wait at least a month or so before ordering my discus to make sure everything's running smoothly. But I'm not going to be buying anymore API products. The pet store guy said I wasn't the first to have this happen with the master kit, so made me feel better. I got all worried for nothing. For now my tank is good, just gotta be patient and make sure it stays this way for awhile thanks for all the help :)

Ok I thought that was what you meant by species tank, but discus like other schooling fish, I did tetras but rams are also very popular with them, certain catfish and plecos are also a recommended species to keep with them. I don't think I'd want a species tank I like variety :D. Also I took a sample of my water into the pet store and my nitrates and nitrites are fine. My ph is higher than id like 8.2 but that's no biggie because I will wait at least a month or so before ordering my discus to make sure everything's running smoothly. But I'm not going to be buying anymore API products. The pet store guy said I wasn't the first to have this happen with the master kit, so made me feel better. I got all worried for nothing. For now my tank is good, just gotta be patient and make sure it stays this way for awhile thanks for all the help :)

You probably just had a bad kit. I use a master kit and has worked perfect ?

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp

Caleb not just you, everybody has recommended it, I've always been a fan of strips, but I was finally talked into this one by everybody I know that has tanks. My friend is going to bring his over tomorrow just to compare. Its kinda funny because when I opened the kit I realized there were 2 extra bottles of #2 nitrate and no ammonia bottles. I contacted API and they sent me new replacement bottles quickly no questions asked, so maybe I do just have a bad one :( I bought it new tho. Oh well appreciate the help thanks

Back
Top Bottom