Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

1) Great impromptu buy . They are sensitive to water conditions, so if that is a freshly set up tank,watch them closely.

2) I keep mine in a river system tank that was planned out especially for them. Get yourself some powerheads and pre-filters to fit them. This is an idea of what I mean. Aquarium Pre-filters: Aquarium Technology Inc Filter-Max Pre-Filter

3) They eat anything, but always have fresh algae available. That doesn't mean the wafers, let some algae grow on rocks and wood.

4) Give them places to get out of the flow of water as well and more plants.

5) Keep the water cooler. Mine is 74 degrees and I've just had them start spawning.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
If that's the case what you could do is you put a long tube (like what you have on your HOB) on the input of the maxijet (i find these work the best for modding) and run it to the other side so it creates the sucking that you want. You could set up two and it would be pretty awesome.

Maybe hide the tubes under some rocks or substrate? Make sure you put filter floss or soemthing over it so the little guys dont get stuck.
See what I am wondering is could I run the lines outside of the tank? I was told no at the LFS but these things have a 4'+ head height so I think it will be fine. I like the aquaclears beacue they have a little filter thingy for them you can get.

How much water would they actually pump in this application and would the AC 70 or Maxijet 1200 be bigger? The 1200 says it does 1300GHP in circulation mode but only 295 in powerhead mode where they 70 says 350-400.

I was thinking about a Fluval sump pump? http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/pro.../#.U9RR3Kg2zS8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
1) Great impromptu buy . They are sensitive to water conditions, so if that is a freshly set up tank,watch them closely.

2) I keep mine in a river system tank that was planned out especially for them. Get yourself some powerheads and pre-filters to fit them. This is an idea of what I mean. Aquarium Pre-filters: Aquarium Technology Inc Filter-Max Pre-Filter

3) They eat anything, but always have fresh algae available. That doesn't mean the wafers, let some algae grow on rocks and wood.

4) Give them places to get out of the flow of water as well and more plants.

5) Keep the water cooler. Mine is 74 degrees and I've just had them start spawning.
Don't worry I had researched them a lot I just was planning on getting a long tank before buying the fish and like I said I had asked about them at the LFS and didn't know they were actually getting them. That tank is fully set up and was my display tank until I got my 150

74 degrees is actually pretty warm from what I have read, but if there spawning that is crazy, how many do you have? How do you sex them if its even possible.

By water conditions do you just mean nitrates or PH and hardness and the works?

How much light/PAR do I need to grow algae but not have it take over my tank?

Do you have any tank mates in your tank? Looking for something preferably that would be with them naturally.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Huh. Never tried running it outside the tank but you could try and if it isn't working how you want, just run it inside!

I would run them both tubes on the back of the tank so that it is easier to hide them with a black background or something. It will also help get you better angles than what you have now with the black on the front.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I would really like to do is make an angled fish tank with the water running down by gravity into a larger tank via a slit or having one end lower with pumps powerful enough to keep the water in the long tank.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would advise that you don't do that. If it is tilted, the glass can twist and the silicon will snap.

What you should do is make an angle with a piece of aquarium safe plastic and silicon it in place so when the water hits it it makes a steady current.

So like a ramp in the tank pretty much. But don't go all the way to the other side. Go about 1/2 way so that there can be some dead spots if you set up rocks to block a little.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:42 AM   #16
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Don't worry I had researched them a lot I just was planning on getting a long tank before buying the fish and like I said I had asked about them at the LFS and didn't know they were actually getting them. That tank is fully set up and was my display tank until I got my 150

74 degrees is actually pretty warm from what I have read, but if there spawning that is crazy, how many do you have? How do you sex them if its even possible.

By water conditions do you just mean nitrates or PH and hardness and the works?

How much light/PAR do I need to grow algae but not have it take over my tank?

Do you have any tank mates in your tank? Looking for something preferably that would be with them naturally.
74 because of my lights and room temp. I don't run a heater in the tank, but it stays constant.

I have no idea how to sex them. I have 6 right now. I saw two guarding an egg clutch last night and it's still there today.

I have no idea about the PAR. I have 2 55 watt 6500k CFL daylights on my 55g river tank. Plenty of algae on the rocks and wood, very little anywhere else. But that could also be because my tank is heavily planted, I have a good algae team and I clean it weekly.

Tank mates are white clouds, khuli loaches, burmese rosey loaches, breeding pair albino bristlenose plecos, siamese algae eaters, bamboo shrimp. I plan a few more types of "flat" loaches as there are many types that fall into the same family as hillstreams and some neon blue gobies.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

use a pond pump with the intake on one side of the tank and the outtake on the other , yopu could probably use a 1000gal / hr pump , I use 250 gal/hr for my dyi canister but I don't get that much current , a few huge air stones on one side of the tank will get the water moving also
Old 07-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
use a pond pump with the intake on one side of the tank and the outtake on the other , yopu could probably use a 1000gal / hr pump , I use 250 gal/hr for my dyi canister but I don't get that much current , a few huge air stones on one side of the tank will get the water moving also
Great advice!!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

My friend has a few species of Hillstreams in a 75g. She has two big HOBs and a powerhead so there is lots of flow. Heavily planted. Lots of smooth river rocks.

There favorite food besides soft green algae is Rapashy Gel diets. They swarm for that

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
I would advise that you don't do that. If it is tilted, the glass can twist and the silicon will snap.

What you should do is make an angle with a piece of aquarium safe plastic and silicon it in place so when the water hits it it makes a steady current.

So like a ramp in the tank pretty much. But don't go all the way to the other side. Go about 1/2 way so that there can be some dead spots if you set up rocks to block a little.
See but then the deepest part is where the water goes, I would want it to go into another tank, like it the whole tank was tilted it would over flow at that end. If it didn't and I just used 1 tank I would probably need like a 6' tank to have a ramp and pool in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
74 because of my lights and room temp. I don't run a heater in the tank, but it stays constant.

I have no idea how to sex them. I have 6 right now. I saw two guarding an egg clutch last night and it's still there today.

I have no idea about the PAR. I have 2 55 watt 6500k CFL daylights on my 55g river tank. Plenty of algae on the rocks and wood, very little anywhere else. But that could also be because my tank is heavily planted, I have a good algae team and I clean it weekly.

Tank mates are white clouds, khuli loaches, burmese rosey loaches, breeding pair albino bristlenose plecos, siamese algae eaters, bamboo shrimp. I plan a few more types of "flat" loaches as there are many types that fall into the same family as hillstreams and some neon blue gobies.
Ok thanks, is your 55g full to the top with water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICEY View Post
I had thought of this but most of the pond pumps I saw needed to be submerged? I don't want a huge pond pump in my tank lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
My friend has a few species of Hillstreams in a 75g. She has two big HOBs and a powerhead so there is lots of flow. Heavily planted. Lots of smooth river rocks.

There favorite food besides soft green algae is Rapashy Gel diets. They swarm for that

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok thanks!

Tags
stream

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com