Hillstreams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True about the 6 foot thing. Make sure you build a brace/frame around it to reinforce and make sure that it is only tilted down, not tilted down and to the side or it will twist. Also, make sure you build something so they can travel back and forth.

Could you clarify your idea? I'm a little confused.

True about the 6 foot thing. Make sure you build a brace/frame around it to reinforce and make sure that it is only tilted down, not tilted down and to the side or it will twist. Also, make sure you build something so they can travel back and forth.

Could you clarify your idea? I'm a little confused.
Well what I was thinking about doing in regards to the tilting is, just like putting a 2x4 or some wood shims under one end of the stand and then having the other end cut like a turtle tank and drain into another tank with a big sump pump pumping the water back up, but that takes up more room and is noisy.

What I'm planning now is a custom Glasscages tank around 48x18x13 with an overflow on one side and bulk heads in the other, additionally I might want a bulk head or 2 on the side with the overflow (corresponding with an extra bulkhead at the other end) for a power-head (like the maxi-jet in my vid but less intrusive). The other thing I thought of is getting a little longer tank and having them block off 2-4" of the tank for the over flow.

I got a MAXI-JET 900 for now, in circulation mode it blew everything out of my 29 gallon all over and all around, it was kind of funny I put a huge rock in front of it and it just eroded out the gravel and the rock fell over, so I set it up in power-head mode run outside the tank and once primed, running it outside the tank doesn't seem like any issue at all, I really don't know why people were telling me it wouldn't work?

One Hillstream bit the dust last night :(, took him back for fish credit, the other seems content with hiding under my drift wood and never coming out?... but the 3rd is happy as can be scampering over the drift wood and rocks right in the flow, I just wish he would find my algae covered arch thing.

Heres a vid of my current set up, the hillstream tank is a hackjob/prof of concept and I will be getting a FX6 for the big tank, the HOB's came with it (I know someones guna say I don't have proper filtration even tho there is 8 fish in a 150 gal). Sorry the quality really degraded when uploaded, but you get to see me spill my monster all over at the end haha.

http://vid412.photobucket.com/albums/pp208/ScaryFatKidGT/Mobile%20Uploads/VID_20140727_210343_zpsd2c6aa6f.mp4

Pics of the active guy

[URL=http://s412.photobucket.com/user/ScaryFatKidGT/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140727_202957_zps3221db80.jpg.html][/URL]

isnt he cute? lol
IMG_20140727_203002_zpsb6b150ea.jpg Photo by ScaryFatKidGT | Photobucket

IMG_20140727_203006_zps455414d9.jpg Photo by ScaryFatKidGT | Photobucket

Lol put your arch on its side so that it is closer to their swim zone. :)

Good luck on the custom tank! - Raymond

Lol put your arch on its side so that it is closer to their swim zone. :)

Good luck on the custom tank! - Raymond
Good idea, although they climb on the drift wood fine.

I'm just wondering if I should use pumps with a canister filter and a HOB like I have or if I should hook up large canisters inline with the bulkheads like 2 Marineland C-530's or Cascade 1500's and then have super filtering and enough flow.

The super filtering and enough flow is probably the best choice, you will just want to maintain a low water level with a lot of rocks breaking the surface to and centralizing the current. You also want an area that is shaded by rock cover

Should look like this from above

|------>[xxxxxxxxxxx x|
|-------->[___/xxxxxO|
|-------------- - - >O|

The straight vertical lines are the tank walls
The arrows are the water current
The Os are the bulkheads or intake of the filter
X places that won't have much current and places I had to fill up because I cant do multiple spaces in this format. There is also the blank above the underscores that don't have X over them but those are also no current spaces
And the [ and _ and / are rocks

This way you provide deadspace for them to relax and also create heavy current on the bottom third of the tank.

Sorry but I couldnt get the back wall aligned.. LOL

Well now my Maxi-jet 900 is heating my tank as good as my heater -.- 78 degrees, I unplugged it and will see if the temp goes back down.

Back
Top Bottom