Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hillstreams!

Bought these guys a little earlier than planned on impulse, turns out a couple people asked so even tho I didn't special order them the LFS got some in so I bought all 3, got them out of that terrible 76ish degree regular tank .

Had to make an impromptu tank for them, threw my other fish in my 150g (was going to do this anyway), then used some tubing I bought to run my filter intake to the other side, turned the temp down and threw in an air stone and some icecubes lol.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They really enjoy heavy currents so you could lower your water level, and put a power head there to create a lot of current and then use the hang on back on the side to create a nice flow. You should grow some algae on rocks and place them in their for them to eat. They also enjoy lettuce and algae wafers although they can also be a little finicky about water quality... You could just take out the heater. They wont need it.

Look up a care sheet for them and follow it well! I always wanted to set up a tank for these guys... XD

Best of luck, - Raymond

Old 07-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
They really enjoy heavy currents so you could lower your water level, and put a power head there to create a lot of current and then use the hang on back on the side to create a nice flow. You should grow some algae on rocks and place them in their for them to eat. They also enjoy lettuce and algae wafers although they can also be a little finicky about water quality... You could just take out the heater. They wont need it.

Look up a care sheet for them and follow it well! I always wanted to set up a tank for these guys... XD

Best of luck, - Raymond
Yeah I was going to buy a 33 long or a custom glasscages 48x18x13 tank and set it all up first but I just walked into the pet store and he was like hey we got hillstreams haha.

The 29g is really to tall, I took out some water and I could take out more but to much and my HOB wont work.

What I would like to do is get a pump or powerhead and run the tubing outside of the tank. I keep getting told all I need to do is throw a circulation fan in there but I really want more suck than push. I want to have a pump with the exit on one side going to like a little over flow or water fall on the other, but I keep being told that powerheads aren't made for that and that they either don't have enough head height or they will burn out. The LFS told me the only thing that will work is a Cobalt canister filter/pump because its made to pump water out of the tank even if the waters low but there has to be other pumps that do this? What do people use with HOB overflows?

The little guys came from a heated tank so I didn't want to lower the temp to much.

Is there any other good tank mates besides white clouds? I'm planning on getting some more rocks and stuff too. How do u grow algae on them? There is some growing on that little arch thing and on my heater. I have a 30" Aqueon modular LED with all 3 tubes in it, is that enough light or do i need more? T5's?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the mean time grab them some algae tablets. An idea that you could use is that you create an overhead sump and use the powerhead to push the water up that way. The outputs can just be on the other side of the tank to create a nice sucking current. Try to plan the tank from above so you can track how the water is flowing (you want one or two deadspots so they can rest) You should pair the algae scrubber with it and then you can just take out the tray, let them eat, and put it back if you ever run out of food or something.

Or you can just get a strong light and let the algae grow in the tank. You can grow the algae on the rocks by jacking the nasty water from your other tank, and put some rocks into a tub with the nasty water. Keep it aerated and they tend to grow best under a light or sunlight. And just do water changes for the algae every time you do water changes with the other tank. What you want to do is have like 5-10 rocks so you always have enough rocks to feed them with. When they finish one, they get another rock and you put the finished rock back in. 5-7 is probably best so you get the densest amount of algae per rock.

Best of luck with the Hillstreams, - Raymond
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm thats kind of cool, basically just a HOB kind of, I want to make one with some old HOB filter shells. Any pump can pump water up that high? I supose the more flow you want the bigger bulkheads you get? I wonder if you could suspend a real sump that way? Like the small Aqueon sump Aqueon ProFlex Sumps | That Fish Place. I was told that by putting the sump over my fishtank I would never be able to get good flow because I wouldn't have the whole weight of the large fish tank pushing the water down so I would just flood the sump or I would need a sump bigger than the tank lol.

I already have some Hikari algea wafers for my pleco .

Is there a way to like "seed" the rocks with algae?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well with a sump you actually want LESS flow in theory because it gives more surface time for the bacteria and algae to utilize the resources. Just get a maxijet 500 or something and the gph will still be pretty good. You don't really need to blow the hillstreams away, just a moderate current will work. If you think about it though, and under tank sump uses a pump to pump water up anyways so the mechanics are the same.

Some people put a powerhead on the input and output so in essence you could do the same thing and the over tank will do the same as the under because the under will have gravity assistance in flowing into the sump while the other has gravity assistance flowing out of the sump. The water displacement would be the about the same.

Okay about the seeding... If you have green algae in any of your other tanks, remove that decoration or gravel or razor blade it off or something, then put it in the algae grow tub. I used to collect it from the stream but upon further inspection there were all sorts of nasty stuff in there. XD

So just try to find a friend who has green algae growing on a rock in his tank or something.

I think they eat diatoms (brown algae) as well so if you have brown algae, you could do that too.

Keep me updated on the Hillstreams!

Best of luck in whatever you decide, - Raymond
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
Well with a sump you actually want LESS flow in theory because it gives more surface time for the bacteria and algae to utilize the resources. Just get a maxijet 500 or something and the gph will still be pretty good. You don't really need to blow the hillstreams away, just a moderate current will work. If you think about it though, and under tank sump uses a pump to pump water up anyways so the mechanics are the same.

Some people put a powerhead on the input and output so in essence you could do the same thing and the over tank will do the same as the under because the under will have gravity assistance in flowing into the sump while the other has gravity assistance flowing out of the sump. The water displacement would be the about the same.

Okay about the seeding... If you have green algae in any of your other tanks, remove that decoration or gravel or razor blade it off or something, then put it in the algae grow tub. I used to collect it from the stream but upon further inspection there were all sorts of nasty stuff in there. XD

So just try to find a friend who has green algae growing on a rock in his tank or something.

I think they eat diatoms (brown algae) as well so if you have brown algae, you could do that too.

Keep me updated on the Hillstreams!

Best of luck in whatever you decide, - Raymond
Theres some green algae on that little arch and some brown on my heater but it might just be because its on something dark.

I just can't do under because my tank isn't drilled, (I don't think they drill anything smaller than a 55/75 gallon) thats why I was thinking about pumps or canister filters.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you should go for an overhead if you want the extra filtration. But since you are only stocked with 3 Hillstreams and have a strong hang on back, something I recommend would be to have a directional sponge filter.

If you get a strong air pump (make sure you also get an air pump that is battery powered) you will have excellent flow. You can actually make two and change the direction of the flow (like have them flow inwards from the corners) which will make an interesting enviroment for the Hillstreams.

Also, if you ever need to set up another tank, need a seed, or a QT tank, you always have a cycled filter.

As to the algae on the decorations, slightly lower the temperature every hour till you get to the room temp or as low as the heater will go, then take it out and put it in one tub. You might as well plug it in XD

So set up two tubs one with brown and one with green. The other tub just put the decoration with the green algae in it.

You don't want to grow them both in the same tub because the green algae out competes the brown algae. Remember to put the same amount of rocks in it! And use strong light and old water.

Good luck! - Raymond
Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't really need the filtration just the flow. I got a cobalt 210 that was recommended to be able to pump water up and out of the tank and it doesn't do much I would say I will need 4x the flow it just squirts a little water into the tank.

I think I'm going to get some Giant danios? I've searched for hillstream tank mates and haven't found much

White clouds, guess theres a lot more species of these than I thought of them?
Giant danios
Zebra danios
Hillstream catfish but I have no info about these?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that's the case what you could do is you put a long tube (like what you have on your HOB) on the input of the maxijet (i find these work the best for modding) and run it to the other side so it creates the sucking that you want. You could set up two and it would be pretty awesome.

Maybe hide the tubes under some rocks or substrate? Make sure you put filter floss or soemthing over it so the little guys dont get stuck.

Tags
stream

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com