Hillstreams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought these guys a little earlier than planned on impulse, turns out a couple people asked so even tho I didn't special order them the LFS got some in so I bought all 3, got them out of that terrible 76ish degree regular tank :).

Had to make an impromptu tank for them, threw my other fish in my 150g (was going to do this anyway), then used some tubing I bought to run my filter intake to the other side, turned the temp down and threw in an air stone and some icecubes lol.

They really enjoy heavy currents so you could lower your water level, and put a power head there to create a lot of current and then use the hang on back on the side to create a nice flow. You should grow some algae on rocks and place them in their for them to eat. They also enjoy lettuce and algae wafers although they can also be a little finicky about water quality... You could just take out the heater. They wont need it. :)

Look up a care sheet for them and follow it well! I always wanted to set up a tank for these guys... XD

Best of luck, - Raymond

They really enjoy heavy currents so you could lower your water level, and put a power head there to create a lot of current and then use the hang on back on the side to create a nice flow. You should grow some algae on rocks and place them in their for them to eat. They also enjoy lettuce and algae wafers although they can also be a little finicky about water quality... You could just take out the heater. They wont need it. :)

Look up a care sheet for them and follow it well! I always wanted to set up a tank for these guys... XD

Best of luck, - Raymond
Yeah I was going to buy a 33 long or a custom glasscages 48x18x13 tank and set it all up first but I just walked into the pet store and he was like hey we got hillstreams haha.

The 29g is really to tall, I took out some water and I could take out more but to much and my HOB wont work.

What I would like to do is get a pump or powerhead and run the tubing outside of the tank. I keep getting told all I need to do is throw a circulation fan in there but I really want more suck than push. I want to have a pump with the exit on one side going to like a little over flow or water fall on the other, but I keep being told that powerheads aren't made for that and that they either don't have enough head height or they will burn out. The LFS told me the only thing that will work is a Cobalt canister filter/pump because its made to pump water out of the tank even if the waters low but there has to be other pumps that do this? What do people use with HOB overflows?

The little guys came from a heated tank so I didn't want to lower the temp to much.

Is there any other good tank mates besides white clouds? I'm planning on getting some more rocks and stuff too. How do u grow algae on them? There is some growing on that little arch thing and on my heater. I have a 30" Aqueon modular LED with all 3 tubes in it, is that enough light or do i need more? T5's?

In the mean time grab them some algae tablets. An idea that you could use is that you create an overhead sump and use the powerhead to push the water up that way. The outputs can just be on the other side of the tank to create a nice sucking current. Try to plan the tank from above so you can track how the water is flowing (you want one or two deadspots so they can rest) You should pair the algae scrubber with it and then you can just take out the tray, let them eat, and put it back if you ever run out of food or something.

Or you can just get a strong light and let the algae grow in the tank. You can grow the algae on the rocks by jacking the nasty water from your other tank, and put some rocks into a tub with the nasty water. Keep it aerated and they tend to grow best under a light or sunlight. And just do water changes for the algae every time you do water changes with the other tank. What you want to do is have like 5-10 rocks so you always have enough rocks to feed them with. When they finish one, they get another rock and you put the finished rock back in. 5-7 is probably best so you get the densest amount of algae per rock.

Best of luck with the Hillstreams, - Raymond

Hmmm thats kind of cool, basically just a HOB kind of, I want to make one with some old HOB filter shells. Any pump can pump water up that high? I supose the more flow you want the bigger bulkheads you get? I wonder if you could suspend a real sump that way? Like the small Aqueon sump Aqueon ProFlex Sumps | That Fish Place. I was told that by putting the sump over my fishtank I would never be able to get good flow because I wouldn't have the whole weight of the large fish tank pushing the water down so I would just flood the sump or I would need a sump bigger than the tank lol.

I already have some Hikari algea wafers for my pleco :).

Is there a way to like "seed" the rocks with algae?

Well with a sump you actually want LESS flow in theory because it gives more surface time for the bacteria and algae to utilize the resources. Just get a maxijet 500 or something and the gph will still be pretty good. You don't really need to blow the hillstreams away, just a moderate current will work. :) If you think about it though, and under tank sump uses a pump to pump water up anyways so the mechanics are the same.

Some people put a powerhead on the input and output so in essence you could do the same thing and the over tank will do the same as the under because the under will have gravity assistance in flowing into the sump while the other has gravity assistance flowing out of the sump. The water displacement would be the about the same.

Okay about the seeding... If you have green algae in any of your other tanks, remove that decoration or gravel or razor blade it off or something, then put it in the algae grow tub. I used to collect it from the stream but upon further inspection there were all sorts of nasty stuff in there. XD

So just try to find a friend who has green algae growing on a rock in his tank or something.

I think they eat diatoms (brown algae) as well so if you have brown algae, you could do that too.

Keep me updated on the Hillstreams!

Best of luck in whatever you decide, - Raymond

Well with a sump you actually want LESS flow in theory because it gives more surface time for the bacteria and algae to utilize the resources. Just get a maxijet 500 or something and the gph will still be pretty good. You don't really need to blow the hillstreams away, just a moderate current will work. :) If you think about it though, and under tank sump uses a pump to pump water up anyways so the mechanics are the same.

Some people put a powerhead on the input and output so in essence you could do the same thing and the over tank will do the same as the under because the under will have gravity assistance in flowing into the sump while the other has gravity assistance flowing out of the sump. The water displacement would be the about the same.

Okay about the seeding... If you have green algae in any of your other tanks, remove that decoration or gravel or razor blade it off or something, then put it in the algae grow tub. I used to collect it from the stream but upon further inspection there were all sorts of nasty stuff in there. XD

So just try to find a friend who has green algae growing on a rock in his tank or something.

I think they eat diatoms (brown algae) as well so if you have brown algae, you could do that too.

Keep me updated on the Hillstreams!

Best of luck in whatever you decide, - Raymond
Theres some green algae on that little arch and some brown on my heater but it might just be because its on something dark.

I just can't do under because my tank isn't drilled, (I don't think they drill anything smaller than a 55/75 gallon) thats why I was thinking about pumps or canister filters.

I think you should go for an overhead if you want the extra filtration. But since you are only stocked with 3 Hillstreams and have a strong hang on back, something I recommend would be to have a directional sponge filter.

If you get a strong air pump (make sure you also get an air pump that is battery powered) you will have excellent flow. You can actually make two and change the direction of the flow (like have them flow inwards from the corners) which will make an interesting enviroment for the Hillstreams.

Also, if you ever need to set up another tank, need a seed, or a QT tank, you always have a cycled filter. :)

As to the algae on the decorations, slightly lower the temperature every hour till you get to the room temp or as low as the heater will go, then take it out and put it in one tub. You might as well plug it in XD

So set up two tubs one with brown and one with green. The other tub just put the decoration with the green algae in it.

You don't want to grow them both in the same tub because the green algae out competes the brown algae. Remember to put the same amount of rocks in it! And use strong light and old water. :)

Good luck! - Raymond

I don't really need the filtration just the flow. I got a cobalt 210 that was recommended to be able to pump water up and out of the tank and it doesn't do much I would say I will need 4x the flow it just squirts a little water into the tank.

I think I'm going to get some Giant danios? I've searched for hillstream tank mates and haven't found much

White clouds, guess theres a lot more species of these than I thought of them?
Giant danios
Zebra danios
Hillstream catfish but I have no info about these?

If that's the case what you could do is you put a long tube (like what you have on your HOB) on the input of the maxijet (i find these work the best for modding) and run it to the other side so it creates the sucking that you want. You could set up two and it would be pretty awesome.

Maybe hide the tubes under some rocks or substrate? Make sure you put filter floss or soemthing over it so the little guys dont get stuck. :)

1) Great impromptu buy :nono: . They are sensitive to water conditions, so if that is a freshly set up tank,watch them closely.

2) I keep mine in a river system tank that was planned out especially for them. Get yourself some powerheads and pre-filters to fit them. This is an idea of what I mean. Aquarium Pre-filters: Aquarium Technology Inc Filter-Max Pre-Filter

3) They eat anything, but always have fresh algae available. That doesn't mean the wafers, let some algae grow on rocks and wood.

4) Give them places to get out of the flow of water as well and more plants.

5) Keep the water cooler. Mine is 74 degrees and I've just had them start spawning.

If that's the case what you could do is you put a long tube (like what you have on your HOB) on the input of the maxijet (i find these work the best for modding) and run it to the other side so it creates the sucking that you want. You could set up two and it would be pretty awesome.

Maybe hide the tubes under some rocks or substrate? Make sure you put filter floss or soemthing over it so the little guys dont get stuck. :)
See what I am wondering is could I run the lines outside of the tank? I was told no at the LFS but these things have a 4'+ head height so I think it will be fine. I like the aquaclears beacue they have a little filter thingy for them you can get.

How much water would they actually pump in this application and would the AC 70 or Maxijet 1200 be bigger? The 1200 says it does 1300GHP in circulation mode but only 295 in powerhead mode where they 70 says 350-400.

I was thinking about a Fluval sump pump? http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/14335-sp2-aquarium-sump-pump/#.U9RR3Kg2zS8

1) Great impromptu buy :nono: . They are sensitive to water conditions, so if that is a freshly set up tank,watch them closely.

2) I keep mine in a river system tank that was planned out especially for them. Get yourself some powerheads and pre-filters to fit them. This is an idea of what I mean. Aquarium Pre-filters: Aquarium Technology Inc Filter-Max Pre-Filter

3) They eat anything, but always have fresh algae available. That doesn't mean the wafers, let some algae grow on rocks and wood.

4) Give them places to get out of the flow of water as well and more plants.

5) Keep the water cooler. Mine is 74 degrees and I've just had them start spawning.
Don't worry I had researched them a lot I just was planning on getting a long tank before buying the fish and like I said I had asked about them at the LFS and didn't know they were actually getting them. That tank is fully set up and was my display tank until I got my 150

74 degrees is actually pretty warm from what I have read, but if there spawning that is crazy, how many do you have? How do you sex them if its even possible.

By water conditions do you just mean nitrates or PH and hardness and the works?

How much light/PAR do I need to grow algae but not have it take over my tank?

Do you have any tank mates in your tank? Looking for something preferably that would be with them naturally.

Huh. Never tried running it outside the tank but you could try and if it isn't working how you want, just run it inside! :)

I would run them both tubes on the back of the tank so that it is easier to hide them with a black background or something. It will also help get you better angles than what you have now with the black on the front.

What I would really like to do is make an angled fish tank with the water running down by gravity into a larger tank via a slit or having one end lower with pumps powerful enough to keep the water in the long tank.

I would advise that you don't do that. If it is tilted, the glass can twist and the silicon will snap.

What you should do is make an angle with a piece of aquarium safe plastic and silicon it in place so when the water hits it it makes a steady current.

So like a ramp in the tank pretty much. :) But don't go all the way to the other side. Go about 1/2 way so that there can be some dead spots if you set up rocks to block a little.

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/14335-sp2-aquarium-sump-pump/#.U9RR3Kg2zS8

Don't worry I had researched them a lot I just was planning on getting a long tank before buying the fish and like I said I had asked about them at the LFS and didn't know they were actually getting them. That tank is fully set up and was my display tank until I got my 150

74 degrees is actually pretty warm from what I have read, but if there spawning that is crazy, how many do you have? How do you sex them if its even possible.

By water conditions do you just mean nitrates or PH and hardness and the works?

How much light/PAR do I need to grow algae but not have it take over my tank?

Do you have any tank mates in your tank? Looking for something preferably that would be with them naturally.

74 because of my lights and room temp. I don't run a heater in the tank, but it stays constant.

I have no idea how to sex them. I have 6 right now. I saw two guarding an egg clutch last night and it's still there today.

I have no idea about the PAR. I have 2 55 watt 6500k CFL daylights on my 55g river tank. Plenty of algae on the rocks and wood, very little anywhere else. But that could also be because my tank is heavily planted, I have a good algae team and I clean it weekly.

Tank mates are white clouds, khuli loaches, burmese rosey loaches, breeding pair albino bristlenose plecos, siamese algae eaters, bamboo shrimp. I plan a few more types of "flat" loaches as there are many types that fall into the same family as hillstreams and some neon blue gobies.

use a pond pump with the intake on one side of the tank and the outtake on the other , yopu could probably use a 1000gal / hr pump , I use 250 gal/hr for my dyi canister but I don't get that much current , a few huge air stones on one side of the tank will get the water moving also

use a pond pump with the intake on one side of the tank and the outtake on the other , yopu could probably use a 1000gal / hr pump , I use 250 gal/hr for my dyi canister but I don't get that much current , a few huge air stones on one side of the tank will get the water moving also

Great advice!!

My friend has a few species of Hillstreams in a 75g. She has two big HOBs and a powerhead so there is lots of flow. Heavily planted. Lots of smooth river rocks.

There favorite food besides soft green algae is Rapashy Gel diets. They swarm for that :)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would advise that you don't do that. If it is tilted, the glass can twist and the silicon will snap.

What you should do is make an angle with a piece of aquarium safe plastic and silicon it in place so when the water hits it it makes a steady current.

So like a ramp in the tank pretty much. :) But don't go all the way to the other side. Go about 1/2 way so that there can be some dead spots if you set up rocks to block a little.
See but then the deepest part is where the water goes, I would want it to go into another tank, like it the whole tank was tilted it would over flow at that end. If it didn't and I just used 1 tank I would probably need like a 6' tank to have a ramp and pool in there.

74 because of my lights and room temp. I don't run a heater in the tank, but it stays constant.

I have no idea how to sex them. I have 6 right now. I saw two guarding an egg clutch last night and it's still there today.

I have no idea about the PAR. I have 2 55 watt 6500k CFL daylights on my 55g river tank. Plenty of algae on the rocks and wood, very little anywhere else. But that could also be because my tank is heavily planted, I have a good algae team and I clean it weekly.

Tank mates are white clouds, khuli loaches, burmese rosey loaches, breeding pair albino bristlenose plecos, siamese algae eaters, bamboo shrimp. I plan a few more types of "flat" loaches as there are many types that fall into the same family as hillstreams and some neon blue gobies.
Ok thanks, is your 55g full to the top with water?

I had thought of this but most of the pond pumps I saw needed to be submerged? I don't want a huge pond pump in my tank lol.

My friend has a few species of Hillstreams in a 75g. She has two big HOBs and a powerhead so there is lots of flow. Heavily planted. Lots of smooth river rocks.

There favorite food besides soft green algae is Rapashy Gel diets. They swarm for that :)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok thanks!

Back
Top Bottom