Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You realise that betta will just tear the shrimp to peices?
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!
IME bettas usually don't bother shrimp

Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another problem: Goldies are coldwater fish, while corys are tropical. You REALLY need to upgrade and/or split up the fish.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetMrMan View Post
Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.
The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
a betta wont always kill shrimp,at least not on purpose...(mine chased a shrimp out of the tank once)
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My 3 catfish are only 2cm and not going to get bigger
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.
+1 Go with the Betta!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #18

Just got a 16 gallon tank I think 60 liters and anyway I asked person at pet shop they say goldfish grow to the size of the tank and the amount of fish in the tank I'm confused help!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

They only "grow to the size of the tank" because they die sooner. Goldfish need a lot of room, they're huge once you give them ample room to grow. Asking them to live in a smaller tank is like asking you and some friends to live in a phone booth the rest of your lives. They're absolutely wonderful fish that are completely misunderstood in terms of size and life expectancy.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #20

Ok anyway will it be ok when they get big to go in pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com