How many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NuggetMrMan said:
Ok anyway will it be ok when they get big to go in pond

I've never seen a fancy in a pond if that's what you have, a common would love it though. Maybe someone can chime in on that one. I would be careful not to leave them in a small tank too long as it will lead to unhealthy stunting.

"Growing to the size of the tank" is what is known as stunting. A cruel and painful process which causes internal damage to the fish, leading to premature death. I've seen the strangest deformed looking fish that have been stunted. It is not natural and it is not humane. I understand your confusion. Trust me when I say this, take EVERYTHING the people at any pet shop say with a grain of salt. Ask all of your questions on a reputable forum such as this one, and do your own research online as well. Never stock your tank with fish recommend there at the store. Pick out what you like and then find out on your own if they are suitable for your tank.

So now you have a 7 gallon and a 16 gallon correct? Have you gotten rid of your other fish? That's what I would recommend. It's definitely time to make sure you know about cycling. Cycle your tank before adding fish, and all your fish won't die in the first couple months which is what happens to virtually everyone who doesn't cycle first (take it from me, I learned the hard way!). To get an overview of what cycling and the nitrogen cycle are, read here: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle Here's a good guide to doing a fishless cycle: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling If you haven't done this and just put fish into a tank it's going to through the cycle with fish in..yikes..then you need this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! If you haven't already realized after reading these, one of the most important things you need right now is a freshwater master test kit. Also a bottle of pure ammonia.

I know it all seems a bit complicated and overwhelming right now, but once you get the hang of it keeping fish the right way is a really fun and exciting hobby :)

They are fancy fish

No, they cannot go in a pond. I suggest you take them to your lfs (local fish store) and ask them to re-home them for you. Chances are they have many customers with tanks suitable for your goldies ;)

If you have two 11 month old fancy goldfish in a 7 gallon tank I am pleading with you...get rid of them right away. Sadly, that is just miserably awful for them :(

On a more positive note, if you're 7 gallon has been running for those 11 months, then it's a completely cycled tank and it can actually help you speed up the process in your new 14 gallon. You can do a fishless cycle in your 14 but put the filter media/cartridge or even just part of it, into the filter of the new tank. This filter is already seeded with the beneficial bacteria and will help seed your new filter much quicker than doing a fishless cycle from scratch :)

siva said:
On a more positive note, if you're 7 gallon has been running for those 11 months, then it's a completely cycled tank and it can actually help you speed up the process in your new 14 gallon. You can do a fishless cycle in your 14 but put the filter media/cartridge or even just part of it, into the filter of the new tank. This filter is already seeded with the beneficial bacteria and will help seed your new filter much quicker than doing a fishless cycle from scratch :)

It is 16 gallon

Inch per gallon is a general guideline. You have to take into account the waste output and the actual weight / surface area of ​​the fish. A 2-inch glass cat VS a 2-inch goldfish. Goldfish are a lot of fat, and more nonsense...

Back
Top Bottom