Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
How many fish

How many fish can I have in my 7 gallon tank?
__________________

__________________
NuggetMrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,314
They say an inch per gallon. Based on how big it will be fully grown. But there are exceptions like goldfish. They need a 20 gal
__________________

__________________
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.
__________________
NuggetMrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
They say an inch per gallon. Based on how big it will be fully grown. But there are exceptions like goldfish. They need a 20 gal
the inch per gallon rule sucks
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon
They say an inch per gallon. Based on how big it will be fully grown. But there are exceptions like goldfish. They need a 20 gal
Agreed, the inch per gallon rule doesn't work.

Are you saying you have those fish now? (Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.)
__________________
Fishkeeper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,314
Yeah youre overstocked with those goldfish. They crap allllooot so they need alot of water. The inch per gallon is a general guideline. You have to factor in waste output and actually body mass/surface area of fish. A 2 inch glass cat vs a 2 inch goldfish. The goldfish is a lot fatter and craps a lot more. Be sure to do frequent water changes and upgrade if u can
__________________
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon
Yeah youre overstocked with those goldfish. They crap allllooot so they need alot of water. The inch per gallon is a general guideline. You have to factor in waste output and actually body mass/surface area of fish. A 2 inch glass cat vs a 2 inch goldfish. The goldfish is a lot fatter and craps a lot more. Be sure to do frequent water changes and upgrade if u can
The inch per gallon rule doesn't work, a simple example is you can't put a 20 inch fish in a 20 gallon tank that's only 24 inches long.

If those are the fish you have, yes you are overstocked and have too many fish in it.
__________________
Fishkeeper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tarpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,314
I know. That's why I said all the other stuff
__________________
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BettaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A little town called Houston.
Posts: 125
I've heard that you can use it as a general rule for fish under 7 inches. I don't know if that's accurate. You could do a Betta tank with some inverts. Maybe some shrimp(Ghost, Cherry, Amano etc.) or a couple ADF's, or snails. Nerites are a good choice, you could do:
2 Nerites or
5-6 Shrimp or
2 ADF's
Maybe 1 Nerite and some Shrimp.
Or 1 Nerite and an ADF or 2.
__________________
BettaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BettaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A little town called Houston.
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetMrMan View Post
Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.
You would be overstocked with either of those fish as stated above, Goldies get waaaaayyyyy too big and a group(5-6) of Cories need at least 10 gal.
__________________
BettaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jason7894561230's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wollongong, Australia
Posts: 3,332
You realise that betta will just tear the shrimp to peices?
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!
__________________
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230
You realise that betta will just tear the shrimp to peices?
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!
IME bettas usually don't bother shrimp
__________________
Fishkeeper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
adadkins1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Morristown, TN
Posts: 1,762
Another problem: Goldies are coldwater fish, while corys are tropical. You REALLY need to upgrade and/or split up the fish.
__________________
><(((ļ> Aaron ><(((ļ>
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetMrMan View Post
Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.
The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.
__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7894561230 View Post
You realise that betta will just tear the shrimp to peices?
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!
a betta wont always kill shrimp,at least not on purpose...(mine chased a shrimp out of the tank once)
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
My 3 catfish are only 2cm and not going to get bigger
__________________
NuggetMrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
BettaKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: A little town called Houston.
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.
+1 Go with the Betta!!!
__________________
BettaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Just got a 16 gallon tank I think 60 liters and anyway I asked person at pet shop they say goldfish grow to the size of the tank and the amount of fish in the tank I'm confused help!
__________________
NuggetMrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 332
They only "grow to the size of the tank" because they die sooner. Goldfish need a lot of room, they're huge once you give them ample room to grow. Asking them to live in a smaller tank is like asking you and some friends to live in a phone booth the rest of your lives. They're absolutely wonderful fish that are completely misunderstood in terms of size and life expectancy.
__________________
Sssea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 29
Ok anyway will it be ok when they get big to go in pond
__________________

__________________
NuggetMrMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 08:41 AM
My fish are staying at the top of the tank.... drhorrible Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 07-14-2011 03:55 PM
fish coloration LostLoach Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 07-10-2011 12:43 PM
How do you judge an LFS? librarygirl Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 23 07-04-2011 01:36 PM
Identify help please; bizzare looking fish DreD Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 07-02-2011 07:18 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×