How many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They say an inch per gallon. Based on how big it will be fully grown. But there are exceptions like goldfish. They need a 20 gal

Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.

tarpon said:
They say an inch per gallon. Based on how big it will be fully grown. But there are exceptions like goldfish. They need a 20 gal

Agreed, the inch per gallon rule doesn't work.

Are you saying you have those fish now? (Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.)

Yeah youre overstocked with those goldfish. They crap allllooot so they need alot of water. The inch per gallon is a general guideline. You have to factor in waste output and actually body mass/surface area of fish. A 2 inch glass cat vs a 2 inch goldfish. The goldfish is a lot fatter and craps a lot more. Be sure to do frequent water changes and upgrade if u can

tarpon said:
Yeah youre overstocked with those goldfish. They crap allllooot so they need alot of water. The inch per gallon is a general guideline. You have to factor in waste output and actually body mass/surface area of fish. A 2 inch glass cat vs a 2 inch goldfish. The goldfish is a lot fatter and craps a lot more. Be sure to do frequent water changes and upgrade if u can

The inch per gallon rule doesn't work, a simple example is you can't put a 20 inch fish in a 20 gallon tank that's only 24 inches long.

If those are the fish you have, yes you are overstocked and have too many fish in it.

I've heard that you can use it as a general rule for fish under 7 inches. I don't know if that's accurate. You could do a Betta tank with some inverts. Maybe some shrimp(Ghost, Cherry, Amano etc.) or a couple ADF's, or snails. Nerites are a good choice, you could do:
2 Nerites or
5-6 Shrimp or
2 ADF's
Maybe 1 Nerite and some Shrimp.
Or 1 Nerite and an ADF or 2.

You realise that betta will just tear the shrimp to peices?
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!

Jason7894561230 said:
I think taking back the goldfish and the small fish, and posting a pic of the cories so we can tell what kind they are. If they are suitable for a 7 gal. But a fighting fish would work real well in that size tank!

IME bettas usually don't bother shrimp

Another problem: Goldies are coldwater fish, while corys are tropical. You REALLY need to upgrade and/or split up the fish.

Oh because I have two goldfish 2 small fish and 3 corys I think that's what they are called.
The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.

a betta wont always kill shrimp,at least not on purpose...(mine chased a shrimp out of the tank once)

The tank is very overstocked. Goldfish are coldwater fish. Two fancy goldfish require an absolute minimum of 30 gals, 2 common goldfish require a minimum of something absurd like 120 gallons. Cories are tropical fish that require a heater. Pygmy cories such as hasbrosus can be kept in 10 gals and larger. Medium sized cories like julii and pandas should be kept in no smaller than 20 gals. Larger cories like emeralds (green) and albinos should be kept in no smaller than 29 gals. Cories are shoalers than should be in groups of 6, but no less than 4. Your other small fish are most likely schoolers that should be in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to say based on that description. The ammonia (waste) your goldfish are producing will most likely lead to the demise of your fish. The tank is so terribly overstocked.

A 7 gallon tank would be approrpiate for 1 betta with a nerite snail and some shrimp. Or some nano fish such as mosquito rasbora, celestial pearl danios, and scarlet badis, to name a few and small inverts like a nerite snail and shrimp. Besides the betta, these may or may not be fish that easy to find in your local stores. They are not typically available in the chain stores. Of the common fish you see in places like Petco, Petsmart, and Walmart, only bettas are appropriate for a tank that size. And to clarify, they are tropical fish that need a heater.
+1 Go with the Betta!!! :lol:

Just got a 16 gallon tank I think 60 liters and anyway I asked person at pet shop they say goldfish grow to the size of the tank and the amount of fish in the tank I'm confused help!

They only "grow to the size of the tank" because they die sooner. Goldfish need a lot of room, they're huge once you give them ample room to grow. Asking them to live in a smaller tank is like asking you and some friends to live in a phone booth the rest of your lives. They're absolutely wonderful fish that are completely misunderstood in terms of size and life expectancy.

Back
Top Bottom