I have to stop reading the classifieds :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enki

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yep found a deal on a used tank I could not pass up.

~50 gallon 4'. Almost exactly the same size as my first 50.
Glass top
~Light that needs a new ballast probably, new tubes at least. I think I am going to rebuild it.
~2 HOB power filters of currently unknown make and model but said to be functional relatively recently.
~A huge airpump with 4 outputs.
~What looks like a battery operated gravel vac, not sure if all the parts are there.

All was offered for $150 obo. It was an all or nothing deal, left behind by a sister in law. I took it away for $100. I probably could have talked her down further, but I got such a deal on my last tank I figured what the heck. I am still ahead of retail for sure.

Now the question is do I use the old filters or get a new filstar? They are still on sale at drfostersmith.com for a REALLY good price.

Tank is several hours into leak testing and looking good so far! :D

I say--go for the new filters! That way, you know for sure they work, when they were bought and when you should expect problems. Sort of like buying a used car and not knowing when the belts were changed, or IF they were changed.

Wow! What a deal!

I'll betch if the sister-in-law had come to this site she would not have gotten frustrated and left a tank behind (can you imagine doing that??). Around here the tank alone will run you $99.

I would get the Filstar if the HOB's look iffy. I like a canister for that size tank, anyway.

What do you have in mind for this tank? Biotope?

Probably not a biotope exactly. I don't want to put limitations on my self though, like choosing only fish and plants from lake victoria, for example. I like mixing things up to an extent. I like a natural look in a tank, and providing a good simulation of a fishes natural condition always has positive affect on fish health and happiness. I will probably do like my other tanks and choose a species to focus on and then pick out a support staff, so to speak.

The probable choice at this point is Neolamprologus brichardi/pulcher 'Daffodil' with some calvus or compriceps and some loaches or catfish.

I want to see the brichardi collective nursery and schooling behavior. A big cloud of pretty little cichlids. :D

Something based around rams is the other contender, but my water comes pretty hard to start with, so that means I would have to be adjusting Ph across the 'neutral zone' and i am not a big fan of that. Seems like pushing your water across that line one way or the other is where most people have troubles.

Sounds great, and I can't wait to see what you do. I have Brichardi juvies right now and I got them for the very reason you mention. Plus I have always been a big fan of their flowing fins and grace.

It is much easier to make soft water harder than it is to make hard water soft, that is for sure. In my mature 55 it is heavily planted with serious CO2 concentrations and nutrient dosing, so the tank has become much softer and acidic than my tap, which is also relatively hard and alkaline. It takes a lot of work to keep the pH stable (though a good solid KH of 5 helps a lot). I was easily able to make my ARLC harder and more alkaline with crushed coral in the filter and a buffering substrate, with petrified coral rockwork. That stays very stable.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but planning a new tank is just about my favorite thing to do, so I will live vicariously through you! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom