Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post

No you do constant testing and water changes. I posted two articles in my post, you really need to read them, they're not that long I promise and yea pet stores are notorious for telling you something is ok when it's definitely not ok. The tetras need a group of at least 5 to be happy, and the live bearers need a1:2 male female ratio to avoid aggression. The tank is just too small for all those fish basically. I know it sucks to be told by an employee that everything is fine when it isn't, it happened to me when I first started out :/
You can go ahead and test again now, then post results.
Products that claim to cycle your tank are frauds in my personal opinion and most people on here also say to avoid them.
The results didnt change they r still same

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What test kit are you using?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What test kit are you using?
Nutrafin master kit
Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

Nutrafin master kit
I'm not familiar with that test kit. But my thinking was that if that's as high as the test goes, your readings may be off the charts and another water change of around 75% is needed. That, or the tests are malfunctioning. Are they expired? I'd do another water change to be safe.
First, fill a test tube with half tank water half tap and test it to mimic a 50% water change before you do it. That way you get an idea of how much water you need to change. Also, what are the levels in your tap water?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I'm not familiar with that test kit. But my thinking was that if that's as high as the test goes, your readings may be off the charts and another water change of around 75% is needed. That, or the tests are malfunctioning. Are they expired? I'd do another water change to be safe.
First, fill a test tube with half tank water half tap and test it to mimic a 50% water change before you do it. That way you get an idea of how much water you need to change. Also, what are the levels in your tap water?
I tested on my betta tank an his readings were good so did a 50% water change testing again now wish me luck
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I tested on my betta tank an his readings were good so did a 50% water change testing again now wish me luck
So I think from my new readings I have to do a 75% water change what do I do with my fish for this one don't rlly wanna leave em in for that
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

So I think from my new readings I have to do a 75% water change what do I do with my fish for this one don't rlly wanna leave em in for that
It's perfectly fine to leave your fish in for large water changes, just leave enough water at the bottom for them to stay upright of course lol.
Just to keep things straight, how many water changes have you done so far? Because if you've done 2 50%water changes with still bad results, there may be something else wrong. What were the exact levels in the other tank you tested?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

It's perfectly fine to leave your fish in for large water changes, just leave enough water at the bottom for them to stay upright of course lol.
Just to keep things straight, how many water changes have you done so far? Because if you've done 2 50%water changes with still bad results, there may be something else wrong. What were the exact levels in the other tank you tested?
I did a 20 and 50 and now just did a 80 what elea could be causing this
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

New results
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .3
Ph 6
Ammonia 0
Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

New results
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .3
Ph 6
Ammonia 0
Well that looks much better

Tags
started, testing, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com