Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
I just started testing my own water

I just started testing my own water an well I'm not sure if I'm doing my tests right here are the results
Nitrite 3.3
Nitrate 110
Ammonia 0
__________________

__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
With a ph of 6
__________________

__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paytertot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: joplin missouri
Posts: 1,822
Are there fish in this tank? If so you need to do a large water change ASAP to get those nitrites and nitrates down.

More info is needed here for us to really help you please
__________________
"A fish with his mouth closed never gets caught" -mob quote
paytertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
Are there fish in this tank? If so you need to do a large water change ASAP to get those nitrites and nitrates down.

More info is needed here for us to really help you please
There are fish in the tank it's being going for a few months now I'm retesting it now just to see if I messed up what other info is needed
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paytertot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: joplin missouri
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

There are fish in the tank it's being going for a few months now I'm retesting it now just to see if I messed up what other info is needed
1.What size is the tank?
2. What kind and how many fish are in there?
3. What is your cleaning regimen?
4. What kind of chemicals/products etc. do you put in?
5. What test kit are you using?
__________________
"A fish with his mouth closed never gets caught" -mob quote
paytertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post

1.What size is the tank?
2. What kind and how many fish are in there?
3. What is your cleaning regimen?
4. What kind of chemicals/products etc. do you put in?
It's a 10 gallon
There's 3 platys 2 swordtails 3 neon tetras a adf and a fire belly newt
I do 20%water change once a week use my Alge magnet once a week and while doing my water change I'm cleaning the gravel.
I use nutrafin cycle, tap water conditioner , and waste control
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paytertot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: joplin missouri
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

It's a 10 gallon
There's 3 platys 2 swordtails 3 neon tetras a adf and a fire belly newt
I do 20%water change once a week use my Alge magnet once a week and while doing my water change I'm cleaning the gravel.
I use nutrafin cycle, tap water conditioner , and waste control
Well firstly, your tank is overstocked and not properly stocked either.
Also, you are currently going through a fish-in cycle. You need to do a large water change IMMEDIATELY to get your levels down, that amount of nitrites and nitrates are toxic to your fish.

Read this article. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...now/Page2.html

And I'd get rid of the nutrafin cycle, it seems to do more harm than good most of the time and won't cycle your tank by itself

Another article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/import...by-/Page1.html
__________________
"A fish with his mouth closed never gets caught" -mob quote
paytertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post

Well firstly, your tank is overstocked and not properly stocked either.
Also, you are currently going through a fish-in cycle. You need to do a large water change IMMEDIATELY to get your levels down, that amount of nitrites and nitrates are toxic to your fish.

Read this article. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...now/Page2.html

And I'd get rid of the nutrafin cycle, it seems to do more harm than good most of the time and won't cycle your tank by itself

Another article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/import...by-/Page1.html
How is it over stocked I was told that it was fine. And when I got my fish they told me that it was ok to mix these I'm very new at this.
I just did a 50% water change how long do I wait before testing again?
And as for the nutrafin cycle it's the only thing the pet stores sell where I'm from so do I just stop using it and leave it at that?
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Bettaorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

How is it over stocked I was told that it was fine. And when I got my fish they told me that it was ok to mix these I'm very new at this.
I just did a 50% water change how long do I wait before testing again?
And as for the nutrafin cycle it's the only thing the pet stores sell where I'm from so do I just stop using it and leave it at that?
And also the newt and frog are there temporary
__________________
Bettaorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paytertot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: joplin missouri
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaorr View Post

How is it over stocked I was told that it was fine. And when I got my fish they told me that it was ok to mix these I'm very new at this.
I just did a 50% water change how long do I wait before testing again?
And as for the nutrafin cycle it's the only thing the pet stores sell where I'm from so do I just stop using it and leave it at that?
No you do constant testing and water changes. I posted two articles in my post, you really need to read them, they're not that long I promise and yea pet stores are notorious for telling you something is ok when it's definitely not ok. The tetras need a group of at least 5 to be happy, and the live bearers need a1:2 male female ratio to avoid aggression. The tank is just too small for all those fish basically. I know it sucks to be told by an employee that everything is fine when it isn't, it happened to me when I first started out :/
You can go ahead and test again now, then post results.
Products that claim to cycle your tank are frauds in my personal opinion and most people on here also say to avoid them.
__________________

__________________
"A fish with his mouth closed never gets caught" -mob quote
paytertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
started, testing, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINALLY Got a New (60 Gallon Again) Tank Up & Running for my Goldies! Long Post... ArtesiaWells Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 63 04-08-2013 12:52 AM
Taking the plunge... zparticle Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 161 03-06-2013 06:58 PM
Cycling / Water testing questions Lynn W. Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 02-24-2013 10:47 AM
Recently adopted a tail biting betta - please help if you can... Onbu Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 8 01-20-2013 11:23 AM
Green Spotted Puffer Profile Terrance Freshwater & Brackish - Fish or Plant Profiles 2 12-31-2012 12:30 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.