I just started testing my own water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettaorr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started testing my own water an well I'm not sure if I'm doing my tests right here are the results
Nitrite 3.3
Nitrate 110
Ammonia 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there fish in this tank? If so you need to do a large water change ASAP to get those nitrites and nitrates down.

More info is needed here for us to really help you please

Are there fish in this tank? If so you need to do a large water change ASAP to get those nitrites and nitrates down.

More info is needed here for us to really help you please

There are fish in the tank it's being going for a few months now I'm retesting it now just to see if I messed up what other info is needed

There are fish in the tank it's being going for a few months now I'm retesting it now just to see if I messed up what other info is needed

1.What size is the tank?
2. What kind and how many fish are in there?
3. What is your cleaning regimen?
4. What kind of chemicals/products etc. do you put in?
5. What test kit are you using?

1.What size is the tank?
2. What kind and how many fish are in there?
3. What is your cleaning regimen?
4. What kind of chemicals/products etc. do you put in?

It's a 10 gallon
There's 3 platys 2 swordtails 3 neon tetras a adf and a fire belly newt
I do 20%water change once a week use my Alge magnet once a week and while doing my water change I'm cleaning the gravel.
I use nutrafin cycle, tap water conditioner , and waste control

It's a 10 gallon
There's 3 platys 2 swordtails 3 neon tetras a adf and a fire belly newt
I do 20%water change once a week use my Alge magnet once a week and while doing my water change I'm cleaning the gravel.
I use nutrafin cycle, tap water conditioner , and waste control

Well firstly, your tank is overstocked and not properly stocked either.
Also, you are currently going through a fish-in cycle. You need to do a large water change IMMEDIATELY to get your levels down, that amount of nitrites and nitrates are toxic to your fish.

Read this article. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

And I'd get rid of the nutrafin cycle, it seems to do more harm than good most of the time and won't cycle your tank by itself

Another article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/impor...r-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

Well firstly, your tank is overstocked and not properly stocked either.
Also, you are currently going through a fish-in cycle. You need to do a large water change IMMEDIATELY to get your levels down, that amount of nitrites and nitrates are toxic to your fish.

Read this article. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/?/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

And I'd get rid of the nutrafin cycle, it seems to do more harm than good most of the time and won't cycle your tank by itself

Another article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/important-information-for-those-new-to-the-aquarium-hobby/?/118/1/Important-Information-for-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

How is it over stocked I was told that it was fine. And when I got my fish they told me that it was ok to mix these I'm very new at this.
I just did a 50% water change how long do I wait before testing again?
And as for the nutrafin cycle it's the only thing the pet stores sell where I'm from so do I just stop using it and leave it at that?

How is it over stocked I was told that it was fine. And when I got my fish they told me that it was ok to mix these I'm very new at this.
And as for the nutrafin cycle it's the only thing the pet stores sell where I'm from so do I just stop using it and leave it at that?

And also the newt and frog are there temporary

No you do constant testing and water changes. I posted two articles in my post, you really need to read them, they're not that long I promise :) and yea pet stores are notorious for telling you something is ok when it's definitely not ok. The tetras need a group of at least 5 to be happy, and the live bearers need a1:2 male female ratio to avoid aggression. The tank is just too small for all those fish basically. I know it sucks to be told by an employee that everything is fine when it isn't, it happened to me when I first started out :/
You can go ahead and test again now, then post results.
Products that claim to cycle your tank are frauds in my personal opinion and most people on here also say to avoid them.

No you do constant testing and water changes. I posted two articles in my post, you really need to read them, they're not that long I promise :) and yea pet stores are notorious for telling you something is ok when it's definitely not ok. The tetras need a group of at least 5 to be happy, and the live bearers need a1:2 male female ratio to avoid aggression. The tank is just too small for all those fish basically. I know it sucks to be told by an employee that everything is fine when it isn't, it happened to me when I first started out :/
You can go ahead and test again now, then post results.
Products that claim to cycle your tank are frauds in my personal opinion and most people on here also say to avoid them.

The results didnt change they r still same

Nutrafin master kit

I'm not familiar with that test kit. But my thinking was that if that's as high as the test goes, your readings may be off the charts and another water change of around 75% is needed. That, or the tests are malfunctioning. Are they expired? I'd do another water change to be safe.
First, fill a test tube with half tank water half tap and test it to mimic a 50% water change before you do it. That way you get an idea of how much water you need to change. Also, what are the levels in your tap water?

I'm not familiar with that test kit. But my thinking was that if that's as high as the test goes, your readings may be off the charts and another water change of around 75% is needed. That, or the tests are malfunctioning. Are they expired? I'd do another water change to be safe.
First, fill a test tube with half tank water half tap and test it to mimic a 50% water change before you do it. That way you get an idea of how much water you need to change. Also, what are the levels in your tap water?

I tested on my betta tank an his readings were good so did a 50% water change testing again now wish me luck

I tested on my betta tank an his readings were good so did a 50% water change testing again now wish me luck

So I think from my new readings I have to do a 75% water change what do I do with my fish for this one don't rlly wanna leave em in for that

So I think from my new readings I have to do a 75% water change what do I do with my fish for this one don't rlly wanna leave em in for that

It's perfectly fine to leave your fish in for large water changes, just leave enough water at the bottom for them to stay upright of course lol.
Just to keep things straight, how many water changes have you done so far? Because if you've done 2 50%water changes with still bad results, there may be something else wrong. What were the exact levels in the other tank you tested?

It's perfectly fine to leave your fish in for large water changes, just leave enough water at the bottom for them to stay upright of course lol.
Just to keep things straight, how many water changes have you done so far? Because if you've done 2 50%water changes with still bad results, there may be something else wrong. What were the exact levels in the other tank you tested?

I did a 20 and 50 and now just did a 80 what elea could be causing this

New results
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .3
Ph 6
Ammonia 0

Back
Top Bottom