I'd my fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishthekitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some small koi fish to begin growing them for my pond and I know I have at least two butterfly but my third seems a lil lack luster for a butterfly even though he was sold as such. I love him either way but I'm just curious if he's more of a standard koi or maybe even a carp.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425055322.738548.jpg
This is my lil death stroke ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425055590.430401.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Butterfly koi were actually originated from a very plain classic carp with long fins, it took time before they got lucky with the beautiful colors and beautiful fins so my advice is to just watch the fins, very nice.

Thanks my lfs sells all three and was just wondering if maybe he landed in the wrong tank. Thanks:)

Can I see another picture of th others and can you tell me if they are pet grade?

I can post some pics of the other koi I have in about an hour. The previous pictures are of a last chance supposed butterfly koi the owner of the shop brought him to my attention because he knows I will take in less than perfect fish the front right side of his face droops very bad and not sure if it is due to abuse or birth defect so the shop owner said he wasn't pet quality but the others I have are. I have two smaller koi and another ready for the pond once it warms up a tad bit. The ponds deep enough to support fish for the winter but putting new fish isn't a good idea till it gets a bit warmer out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425514603.827584.jpg
This is my 29 gallon tank and my larger koi that will go in when the cold breaks. I'll post pics of my smaller koi asap

He has one set of whiskers but he is a damaged fish so he might of lost his other set

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425520829.335201.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425520847.354518.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425520808.298083.jpg

Here are some pics of death stokes face that show the way his mouth comes together and opens he does have one set of whiskers as I think I said earlier but they curl into the corners of his mouth due to its odd formation. Sorry if this is a lot of replies for only a couple simple questions.

Well, your bigger butterfly is a beautiful sanke. With your problem fish, just pointing out that both koi and carp have whiskers. His luster is good and his conformation is nice, nothing spectacular. I believe that his coloration is more koi than carp. His mouth really doesn't look that bad. His coloration around the face especially convinces me that he is most likely not a carp I believe that it is a koi bu it may not be a butterfly, you'll just have to watch him. Otherwise they are all pretty great looking koi for pet grade.

Sounds good as he gets bigger I'll try and put update pics so you can see his progress

Back
Top Bottom