ID this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobothefish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got lots of new creatures again when I bought this rock. Can anyone tell me what this is? Plant, algae or what. Also does anyone know anything about tiny little lobster looking creatures. Looks like a tiny baby lobster about 1/4 inch long. Its got baby claws, fantail just like a lobster. As soon as it becomes visible again I will snap a pic. It would be very cool if it was a lobster.
Again your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_2339.jpg
    100_2339.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 76
Looks like a macro algae mermaids shot glass or mermaids wine glass both are very similar just different sizes. Acetabularia calyculus
Tropical Reefs - Green Algae - Show all

You might want to check out pistol shrimp for your little hitchhiker..

Holy moly man, Pistol shrimp is right! I notices a lame looking claw,what it actually is a very powerfull weapon. This claw produces a sonic bang louder than that of an airplane engine and stuns its prey with it. Its so weird, it opens its claw as it were cocking it open like a gun hammer and then bam! when he releases the claw it, believeit or not, shoots a bubble so powerful that when it comes out it produces this loud noise to stun its prey. On top of it all the bubble it shoots out actually gets hot , real hot. Its hotter than the surface of the sun. Dude this thing is freaking awsome.

here check it: http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

WOW!!!

And BTW thank you for this 411 you were on the money about the mermaids wine glass. Also a very intersting algea.

Also I found out that they form a symbiotic relationship with gobys and are easy to take care of, are reef safe and get along well with other reef inhabitants. prefer rocks and sand with vegetation, are omnivors.
Everyone should have one how cool.

Yea, looks like you really didn't need any help. But you don't have to worry about the shrimp eating your other sshrimp if it is not japanese pistol shrimp. There are many people on here that have 1 with all kinds of shrimp. Any way of getting a picture of it so we can identify what kind of pistol shrimp it is. Also yes they do make a relationship with a goby but don't get your hopes too high, it is not 100% they will pair up.

There are several types of pistol shrimp and some are very beautiful. I keep hoping my LFS will get some in so I can get one they get several types of goby in all the time. One thing to remember is try to get the rocks resting on egg crate so that it won't topple over when the shrimp starts burrowing.

Back
Top Bottom