I'm back with new fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Sorry, I'm running a little late. As I promised, here are some pictures. Please, excuse the dirty glass. I've left the lights on for a little longer to promote algae growth on the glass and rocks for the PBT to graze on while I'm out of town. I'll be gone for 3 days, I don't know how I'll manage. I didn't want to clean the glass too much because I'm trying to limit the amount of stress I put on the fish by dipping my hands in and running the Mag-float. As of now, all the tangs are eating frozen Spirulina Brine, Mysid, Emerald Entree, and eating different kinds of flakes on top of 3 sheets of nori a day. I've found that if you have different stations to clip the nori, the fish won't have to compete for food, thus reducing stress from aggression. If anyone has any questions, please, please ask away! Anyway, here are some pics. Please, enjoy! :D
img_998481_0_87963f1870154139889334105881ffc2.jpg

img_998481_1_43491d5488097ee7e91eef693e20d2e1.jpg

img_998481_2_a9a96390fe295c2b511320c0990e1afc.jpg

img_998481_3_7bfa101313977af07a20b8a4d89fa759.jpg

img_998481_4_22801b39b8c13389b1307394742a60b2.jpg

img_998481_5_318254f2b803683b476a2b4fbf99c42a.jpg

Here's some extras. I just ordered a cheap-o macro lens kit for my Canon SLR. My dad's 180 Trigger Tank.
img_998481_6_c54254869d9ab68fc1130b3d84fd35f6.jpg

only questions i have is what's your address and how much is admission? :clown:

beautiful fish. cant wait to be able to have sw myself someday. as soon as i hit the lottery lol

only questions i have is what's your address and how much is admission? :clown:

beautiful fish. cant wait to be able to have sw myself someday. as soon as i hit the lottery lol

Haha, thanks. I think I'm gonna have to start charging my friends admission so I can pay for food. These guys eat nonstop. If you ever win the lottery, I'll be happy to tell you my address and give you a quote for admission.

How long have you had the PBT and how would you rate it's aggression toward the other tangs?

I've had the PBT since Thursday. I bought it from Saltwaterfish.com. When I opened the package it was flat on it's side, which is common behavior for a stressed tang, but it looked like it was hyperventilating. It is hands down the most dominant fish in the tank. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the least aggressive, 10 being the most.) I would give it a 5. All the tangs "flash" each other when they get annoyed, they wave their tales occasionally, but it looks more like a bluff than an actual swing. The PBT was the last fish introduced during acclimation and all the tangs were added simultaneously within an hour--15 minute intervals. Now, I only give it a 5 towards the tangs in the tank. If I wanted to add another tang, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't last a week in the tank. I've taken a couple of extra cautionary procedures to limit the amount of aggression in the tank.

I made it seem a little confusing--maybe a lot--but I drip acclimated for 3 hours, and when I added the fish I added one fish then waited 15 minutes and so on and so forth.

Thanks for the reply. so the PBT can hold it's own even if it's the last one in the tank. That's good to know.

From what I've researched, there are 2 kinds of PBTs. You either get a skittish one that is in really bad condition and will die or you get one that is a real terd and will be the dominant fish and live. I guess I got lucky. They're supposed to actually be pretty hardy once they get accustomed to living in an aquarium. Are you thinking of getting one?

After seeing your PBT I did some research and picked up one for my 75g tank. It started eating within an hour of being put in my QT. It's been in there for a week now. Beautiful color. All the reading in the world can't beat hands on experiance.

After seeing your PBT I did some research and picked up one for my 75g tank. It started eating within an hour of being put in my QT. It's been in there for a week now. Beautiful color. All the reading in the world can't beat hands on experiance.

I think this warrants pictures....
I wish you and your PBT the best! They're absolutely stunning in person.

Every time I go near the QT he goes into hiding. Rats!!!!Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Every time I go near the QT he goes into hiding. Rats!!!!Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Well, I'm back from my 3 day trip for freshman orientation about 3 and a half hours away from where I live. And I come home to check on my fish, and lo and behold MY 220 SPRANG A LEAK!!!!!!!! Fortunately, I came home and the sandbed had slowed the leak down so it wasn't a massive downpour. Probably 100 gallons of water was lost to the hardwood floor, but thankfully all the fish were ok. There was a huge crack on the side of the tank. I have no idea what caused this, I guess just old age. This was an old second hand tank anyway, so no big deal for now. But the hunt for a new tank begins! Exciting and sad at the same time. The fish are housed in a 75 gallon tank right now. No problems at all and the Powder Blue is eating more like the other fish. So now, I'm still waiting for thincat's picture of his PBT.

of course it always happens when you're not there to catch it at the start. hopefully the floor isnt ruined too. good luck in finding a replacement tank that wont cost more than an arm and a leg. you should have at least one of each to be able to maintain the tank. :clown:

I have plenty of graduation money left over to pay for another tank. I just want to find the best place to have it made to avoid future incidents like this one. The way the water was emptying it had probably broken a few hours before I got home. The floor isn't too bad now. Nothing some paper towels and a Swiffer WetJet couldn't fix. So the fish are in the 75 with liverock. But one rock has a hitchhiker Riccordia on it. So, does this make it a reef?

Here are some pics. I use natual light and this is a tank with LR in it.
(1)
img_999468_0_f5658ae7cc38175419203b2edd6159a1.jpg

(2)
img_999468_1_1ddad136dbd4fd31f29b46ffa3f16a8a.jpg

(3)
img_999468_2_559d6ce4f2637f78df092ad4301df477.jpg

(4)
img_999468_3_b3db8b17282fcb9bbd2af896e89b203a.jpg

In the #4 pic you can see him attacking the nori...
sorry for the low light...

Beautiful! This made my day. Looks incredibly healthy. Congrats on a fine, healthy specimen. How big is it and what are you QTing him in? What are you feeding it?
I guess I'll post some pics of the new 75 gallon holding tank tomorrow.

He is around 2 1/2" and he is in a 10gal tank that I have LR in. I grow macro algae in some of the rocks and switch them out in my DI. This is not the tank that I treat sick fish in. I have one that I set up as needed for that reason only. This way the new fish gets to munch on reef rock goodies. I also feed and he seems to really like it, Reef Chile for BRS. He also seems to like the nori as it took less then 1/2 hour before he started munching on it. I should say attacking it.
Oh, the fish colored up very nicely when I got it home.

Back
Top Bottom