I'm back with new fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rive1404

Aquarium Advice Freak
After the ice storm in February that wiped out all my SW tanks, I was convinced I'd put up SW fish until after I graduated college. But, my parents somehow convinced me that I couldn't live without them; they were right! I've spent the last two months preparing my tanks, and now, I'm going to share them with you!

I purchased fish online for the first time from Saltwaterfish.com, and I am convinced that I won't be shopping anywhere else. I just got them yesterday, and this is the first time I've turned the lights on and fed them. Everyone appears to be in good condition--a little skinny, but nothing I can't fix--except the PBT who has a white face, but I'm not sure if it's from stress or malnutrition. Anyway, they're all eating heartily, and I hope they stay with us for a long, long time. Here's some pics, enjoy :)

Orangeshoulder Tang
img_997610_0_d9a33d5b96a5e89e6fe51f7cbeea60fb.jpg

Lieutenant Tang
img_997610_1_859afedf3c030f4ad49238cbc8f9daa6.jpg

Powder Blue Tang:
img_997610_2_db56665cf34ecfa87135f71b3b73b8c8.jpg

Naso Tang:
img_997610_3_757f6e22b1ed09dc0fa39d558678eca7.jpg

The PBT is the largest and is the dominant fish in the tank. There's some occasional sparring, but nothing bad. They all swim together almost like in a shoal, and happily graze the rocks for algae all day.

Welcome back. to AA. How big did you say your tank was?
Fish look very nice.

They look great, especially once you fatten them up a bit! And in a 220, hard to ask for a better life :-D

Well my parents were so happy with the fish, that they're wanting to upgrade to a 300 gallon tank. All we need to do is find one. ATM I'm feeding them Emerald Entree, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Mysid Shrimp 3 times a day. I make sure that as long as the lights are on, there's a strip of nori on the clip. I hope I can fatten them up. The PBT is still a little slow on eating, but he's taken some foods, he's just not too interested right now. I guess he's still a little shaken up from the trip.

Great looking fish. Maybe you should invest in a portable generator just in case.

Well, it's day 4 with my Powder Blue Tang, and I finally got it to eat Nori!!!! Such a relief. Now, I have to watch how I look at it or it may get ich.

Day 5: Powder Blue Tang (My Girlfriend named her Zuri) is eating Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. Not eating a bunch like the rest, but it's a start. When it came in, it had a small whelp on it's side where it looks like it got hit by another tang's peduncle. I'm glad to report that whelp has healed! I'm assuming that's a good indicator of health if its body is still repairing itself.

Thanks, Melosu! I obviously love tangs, too, since I have an aquarium dedicated to them, haha! I'll be sure to upload more shots since their colors have come in quite nicely and they've fattened up a bit.

how do all these tangs get along in the tank together? isnt it a lot of species of similar types of tangs? i am looking to add a purple hippo tang to my tank that has one yellow tang and 3 damsels. i just read as long as the genus is different it shouldnt be a problem.

also looking to add a few angels and clownfish and a royal gamma.

how do all these tangs get along in the tank together? isnt it a lot of species of similar types of tangs? i am looking to add a purple hippo tang to my tank that has one yellow tang and 3 damsels. i just read as long as the genus is different it shouldnt be a problem.

also looking to add a few angels and clownfish and a royal gamma.

What size tank do you have? It helps when combining tangs that you have a lot of open space for swimming, hiding, grazing. I made it my objective when aquascaping that if a fish wanted to escape a harasser, it could easily do so within the rockwork. I always keep them well fed. There are a few signs of aggression, but nothing serious. They flash each other and move on doing what they were doing before. It may be a little difficult adding a new tang to an established yellow tang. You may encounter some bigger problems. It's typically best to add them all at the same time. I've heard of a purple tang and a blue hippo tang, but never a purple hippo tang. As for the pictures...they will come later before lights go off. I'm going to my freshman orientation in Lexington tomorrow so I'm a little busy with that right now.

Good luck w/ your freshman orientation in Lexington.

Back
Top Bottom