Introduction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leofan123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a ten gallon freshwater tank at the moment... And I'm fishless cycling it (it's been two months :/) and I was thinking about what to get in my tank. This is my thought:
5 neon tetra
2-3 otos
2 platies
I was wondering if otos or Cory catfish would be better in this community? And also, what is the best way to introduce my fish? I've heard after fishless cycling you can introduce them all on the same day? I've also heard otos are sensitive and so are neon tetra. I've had cories and I know they are sensitive, but I'm just wondering what the beat way to introduce all the fish would be? Also my aquarium's nitrite is extremely high and I've done a 50% water change and not added ammonia for about a week and a half but it is still really high. My nitrate has gone down a bit but nitrite isn't budging.

Leofan123 said:
So I have a ten gallon freshwater tank at the moment... And I'm fishless cycling it (it's been two months :/) and I was thinking about what to get in my tank. This is my thought:
5 neon tetra
2-3 otos
2 platies
I was wondering if otos or Cory catfish would be better in this community? And also, what is the best way to introduce my fish? I've heard after fishless cycling you can introduce them all on the same day? I've also heard otos are sensitive and so are neon tetra. I've had cories and I know they are sensitive, but I'm just wondering what the beat way to introduce all the fish would be? Also my aquarium's nitrite is extremely high and I've done a 50% water change and not added ammonia for about a week and a half but it is still really high. My nitrate has gone down a bit but nitrite isn't budging.

I can't answer your stocking question but I wouldn't add all of them at once as it could overwhelm your BB & cause problems. Acclimate them appropriately, drip method or floating in the tank adding a tablespoon of water every 15-20 minutes, doing this for at least an hour. The nitrIte phase can last 2-3 wks & usually means you're close to the end. What is your ammo level? If I'm not mistaken you still need to make sure the ammo doesn't stay zeroed out so the BB doesn't die off.

My ammo is zero and yes I'm starting to add ammonia again. What fish should go into the tank first? And how many fish can I introduce at one time?

Back
Top Bottom