Iron supplement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidjp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I was wondering what you guys thought of using iron supplements that humans ingest. They are pretty cheap at Walmart and I was just wondering since we can consume them then it shouldn't hurt our fish right? Just a thought, I need an iron supplement for tank.

Do they say what the ingredient is?

I thought nah, that will never work but coming across references to ferrous sulphate. But products like API leaf zone tend to be chelated iron so it remains more accessible to plants (as opposed to ferrous sulphate). Would probably depend on tank ph as well. Still reading though.

Edit - forgot to add that I've bought a dry ferts package and it is very cheap and will last for years. Have you looked into doing that?

So another thought on this would be that as well as ph, your organic levels in the substrate could make a difference.

I'm not sure on all this though. I only had the article below as in my high ph and high phosphate tank, I was trying to figure out if I'm getting iron phosphates forming.

Now I have co2 injection I really need to dig out the iron test.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ferrous-ferric

I don't know much about dry feet. How much to use where to buy them.

It's got a little bit of info there.

I use really PMDD. The link below explains the different methods a little better.

I don't dose phosphate (although now with co2 injection may have to soon) as fish food provides that (plus DIY substrate ferts).

Nitrates I lightly dose as the fish, etc supply that.

Potassium (deficiency shows as pin prick holes). I dose extra but have no test kit so no idea except potassium is meant to be pretty harmless.

Micros (iron,etc) I dose as part of dry ferts mix.

The dry ferts idea seems to be use a formula to mix from a planted aquarium or ferts supplier site. Then tweak as you want. So even though it seems complex, I've found I mix some in a bottle and then forget it for three months.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/PMDD.htm

Back
Top Bottom